Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rear View Mirror R/R DIY?

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  kdjkeller 
#1 ·
My mirror has leaked fluid and requires replacement yet I want to perform it myself. Anyone know how to remove the OEM mirror?

Thanks,
Mark

#3 · (Edited)
I fixed a broken one up before on a 97' c230. It is two piece with some circuitry in the middle. It is odd that it would leak fluid as there is no fluid inside of it. Is it possible somthing spilled on it?

To take it apart, look around the whole thing for any screws, precationary. I don't recall any on mine. Then gently start prying at diffrents points of the mirror with a small screw driver. The outside part, where the two pieces of plastic join together.

Once the plastic cover is removed, there is a metal ring holding the rest of the assembly to the windshield attachment rod. Gently pry off the ring, noting the position of the ring, for reassembly. There are some internal clips that hold mirror in place. On the car I was working on the attachment places for the clips, had broken off. The fix was for that was two part epoxy. I glued the mirror to the support bracket, reattached the plastic cover and it is as good as new.

Just be carfull of the circuitry in the mirror. To be extra precautious, pulling a fuse or disconecting the negitive battery terminal would prevent any inadvertant eletrical damage. I didn't do any of that. Although, I was comfortable with what I was doing. As far as the circuitry in it, there is a circuit board and a light inside, with a wiring harness. As far as I can tell it has something to do with the anti-theft system. Because when the car is locked, a red light flashes on the bottom.

This info is on the 97, c230 model. I am sure there could be variences in the diffrent years and models. However, the principle for taking them apart is probably similar. The job can take quite some time if it is the first time someone has fixed/replaced one. Due to so many pieces inside the unit, and they have to all be in the right position to put the housing on.

Good luck. I recommend taking it apart if you want, and cleaning the inside before replacing. Also, look around to see if the leak could be coming from somewhere else and dripping off the mirror. Let us know what you find.

Justin

#4 ·
Thanks for the responses. My mirror is 2/3rds dark (bottom) and normal on the top. I need to replace it, but do not want to pay stealership prices @ $509. Need suitable replacement and not something I need to splice wires to make it work, want plug and play options. Need web sites....

#5 ·
look on ebay, or google mb parts online is my suggestion. there are several knock off parts as well as original or close to original quality. depends where you look. as far as the wiring inside, i think the wiring harness had a plug on it. if you think you can take it apart and put it back together, i suggest following the instuctions metioned above to see what you have to work with. Plus, the dealer may be able to show you a parts list breakdown of what is inside the mirror as far as wiring harness's or what not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.