post #1 of 4 Old 06-26-2009, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Vehicle: 1995 E300 Diesel
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1995 E300 Diesel...good car?

Hi folks,
I am new to this forum. I searched a bit but didn't see much info on the 1995 E300 without the turbo. I am looking into buying on used for $4000. It has 187,000 mi on it. I drove it today and it felt good. A little sluggish but normal for a big, heavy cruiser.

Is this a good year for that model?

The AC didn't blow super cold and the seller said it needed a recharge. I was wondering if that year still had the R12 AC system or had it been converted to the new stuff.

Is there any things to look for in is model/year before I take the plunge.

I am on Oahu, in Hawaii so we have the highest gas prices in the country and I am getting this for my wife. We are both pretty excited about it but are trying to go into it with caution so we don't buy a lemon.

I really appreciate any help you can give.

Aloha,
Jerard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-28-2009, 09:54 AM

Vehicle: '87 300TD 24v & '90 300D 2.5t
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerardjardin View Post
Hi folks,
I am new to this forum. I searched a bit but didn't see much info on the 1995 E300 without the turbo. I am looking into buying on used for $4000. It has 187,000 mi on it. I drove it today and it felt good. A little sluggish but normal for a big, heavy cruiser.

Is this a good year for that model?

The AC didn't blow super cold and the seller said it needed a recharge. I was wondering if that year still had the R12 AC system or had it been converted to the new stuff.

Is there any things to look for in is model/year before I take the plunge.

I am on Oahu, in Hawaii so we have the highest gas prices in the country and I am getting this for my wife. We are both pretty excited about it but are trying to go into it with caution so we don't buy a lemon.

I really appreciate any help you can give.

Aloha,
Jerard
Welcome aboard! The '95 is an excellent year, and the last of the 124 chassis cars. The OM606 engine offers a nice combination of decent power (134hp) and fuel mileage--I think they regularly return something like 30mpg or better. Typical issues with those cars are found with the engine wiring harness and the AC evaporator. Mercedes was experimenting with biodegradable wiring back in the day, and the wire coatings tend to shed over time. Luckily, the diesel harnesses aren't all that complex, so the cost isn't a killer quite like the gassers of the same year. The evaporator can be a big deal, since the entire dash needs to come out in order to locate the fix. Since your car comes with 134a refrigerant from the factory, I tend to be a bit skeptical when a seller says "it just needs a charge". 134a is relatively cheap and readily available, so why didn't they just add the charge? You might want to take it to an independent MB shop and have them do a quick check to see if there are any obvious problems with the AC system.

If you can lick the AC issue with minimal outlay of cash, you could have a very nice car on your hands. I'm about to add a picture sticky at the top of the forum, so feel free to post up some pics of the car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-28-2009, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Vehicle: 1995 E300 Diesel
(Thread Starter)
Thank you Zeitgeist,
I am going to go to a shop on Monday. But check this out. There is another E300, same model and year (even color). Original owner with 144,000mi. He loved the car but someone borrowed it and put in unleaded. He drove it off and on for several months without knowing. Finally he flushed it but it ran ruff. So he stopped driving it and it sat for 2 years because he didn't have the heart to get rid of it. Now his nephew moved in and needs the money so they are going to sell. I went there yesterday and swapped out the battery and got it started. Sure enough, lots of smoke, runs kind of noisy and when I drove it, it shook. But it didn't stall and it felt like it had good power. This car is in worse shape but still going. I was thinking of offering $700 for this one to have it for parts for the other one.
In your opinion, is it worth it or are the problems that are going to come up going to be better solved with new parts?

Thanks for the input!

post #4 of 4 Old 06-29-2009, 09:00 AM

Vehicle: '87 300TD 24v & '90 300D 2.5t
The other one sounds like a great fix-it or part-it option. Unless the improper combustion messed with the pre-chambers, I'd say most of the damage is located in the injectors and injection pump...and even then, these things can typically handle the abuse. I'd say go for it, as the value in parts is at least worth $700.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel Discussion