New Diesel Owner of a 84 300SD Turbo, what next? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-24-2013, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Diesel Owner of a 84 300SD Turbo, what next?

Hello to everyone. I recently bought my first Mercedes, an 89 260 E and I love it. I was not looking to own another one but I came across a barn find, an 84 300SD Turbo with 200K that I paid $400 for. I put a new battery in it and filled it up with diesel and drove it home. This MB has all leather power seats, power windows, power sunroof(no leaks), climate control and the vacuum locks all work great. The driver window does not work perfectly but the diagonal rear window does. The front passenger and rear drivers don't work. My wipers & blinkers don't work but everything else works perfect. Interior is in great shape for it's age except some of the wood grain has started to chip away. The car shifts excellent and the turbo kicks in quickly with more speed than my 89 with the inline 6. With the car running, I've unscrewed the oil cap and it doesn't move which tells me that the compression is great. The temp gauge that gives you the outside air temp is in C. not F. would that mean that my car is a Euro version? whatever that means but I've seen people posting about there models being a Euro MB. I"m sure there is a place to enter my VIN to get detailed info about the car but it does say built in Germany on the door but then again i guess they were all made in Germany, duh...

I have a few questions that I'd like to ask. With the car having sat for a number of years and the fact that I only paid $400 for this huge tank of a car makes me feel quite lucky, excited and a bit nervous. Apart from changing all the fluids etc, what is my next step? I pulled off window switches today off of another 84 300SD at my local Pick N PUll so hopefully that will fix that. The brakes work great, the tires need replacing as they have dry rot. No blue or white smoke when the car is running. It drives very nice as is. so I'm excited about the possibility of having a real nice ride when I'm done. When I turn the key to the ON position I wait for that glow light on the dash to go off and it does in about 3 seconds and then I start the car easily. Should I be waiting longer than 3-5 seconds? I would assume that once that light goes off it's safe to start the car but any insight would be appreciated.

What can I do to start fixing the no blinkers and wipers? I've gone over the fuses and they look fine. I will replace them just the same but where do I go from there? It needs to be inspected so that's my first necessary job after I change all the fluids. What about the diesel that has been sitting in the car? I don't have an area to drain the tank. When I went to fill up the tank the filler neck has some rust so I should be concerned about the presence of water in the tank. I will replace the filters etc but should I add any diesel additives? I've seen both sides of the fence on this and other forums.

Everything on the dash works fine except the odometer. I"m sure like my older Volvo's that I've owned there is a little gear with teeth that needs to be replaced but getting the instrument cluster out might be a pain I have some extra wood grain pieces that I want to replace but what type of adhesive should I use?

Well, thats about all that I can think of but like I said I'm really excited about this impulse buy that I now own. I"m looking forward to driving this 300SD Turbo for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-25-2013, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

#3 Old 03-25-2013, 09:23 AM

(Thread Starter)
I've got the MB up and running excellent with all options but the blower for Heat & AC working properly. I tightened up the sloppy throttle linkage and did the diesel purge which restored tons of power to my turbo as well as excellent idle and highway cruising speeds at 75 -80mph. All I need to do (so far) is to get the blower motor working again., Not sure why it stopped but I will search this forum for guidance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel Discussion