Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1985 190D ran then wont start

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Rackson 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new here!

So I have a 1985 Mercedes 190D, which I drive every day, about 60 miles per day. It has 370k miles on it. It has a rebuilt injection pump with rings/seals for the new diesel fuel and new glow plugs (about 2 years old). I was driving the other day and it started and ran fine. I drove for about 30 miles then turned off the vehicle at a gas station. When I went to start it minutes later it would not start. I know it has battery power because when I turn the key to accessories all my dash gauges work, but my glow plug light does not light up (it comes on then goes off when the car is ready to start). I was wondering if anyone has heard of a problem like this? It could possibly be a wiring issue because the car sat for a while and has some corrosion problems with wire connections, but nothing like this has happened before.

Any advice is appreciated.

thank you,

Jesse

#2 ·
Not certain about this model but it sure sounds like a blown fuse for your glow plugs. This is on the firewall in other models and it's a big fuse not like the little ones in the fuse box. Check your owners manual.

If the fuse is good it could be a bad relay for the glow plugs - easy to fix but more expensive than a fuse.

Good luck
F

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#4 ·
What is the best year for MB Diesel running WVO

I am looking at buying a Mercedes Diesel, to run on SVO can anyone tell me what the best year for the MB Diesel is? and any other info?
This should be it's own thread as I'm sure there will be many comments.

You want a Ford F150 diesel.

The problems with WVO are there's garbage in it, water, food particles and glycosides) theses will rust your tank, clog your filters, wreck havoc in your injector pump, clog your injectors, and the glycosides can wind up in your motor oil which will reduce it's viscosity particularly when cold or in cold weather.

BioDiesel is a better option as it is refined and filtered.

But to answer your question I thing the w115 (220D 240D from 1968 to 1975) are the best ones. The newer cars have catalytic converters and the tank arrangement is different. They make 3'd party tanks that fit in the trunk of the w115's.

Of course you can't do this at all on the new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.