Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glow Plug light intermittantly coming on during driving?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  wolsen3129 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I'm not a MB driver but my father is. I drive an Audi. He's owned a 79 240D since he bought it new, picked up in Germany. The car is all original and less than 100k on the clock. Recently he's had a few issues with it that are usually sorted out quickly with my guidance, since I'm much more of a gearhead than he is. At least, mechanically.

However, I don't know much about diesel systems, particularly on this vintage of car. He's told me that every so often while driving, the glow plug light comes on for a few seconds and then shuts off. In 36 years it's never done this. His trusted shop tells him that it could be nearly anything and they'll have to do a full diagnosis. I'd like to save him some time and maybe give him a starting point.

Any thoughts?

#3 ·
have same problem

I have a 1983 240D with 118K miles. My glow plug lite comes on after the engine is warm. Ruined a set of glow plugs . replaced glow plugs and relay and in still does the same thing . I found that I could kill the lite by turning the ignition switch slightly to the left . that got me home without damage but some of the gauges don't work while the switch is in that position. Logic tells me that the next thing to try is replace the ignition switch.

#4 ·
Glow Plug Light Comes On.

I have a 1983 240D with 118K miles. My glow plug lite comes on after the engine is warm. Ruined a set of glow plugs . replaced glow plugs and relay and in still does the same thing . I found that I could kill the lite by turning the ignition switch slightly to the left . that got me home without damage but some of the gauges don't work while the switch is in that position. Logic tells me that the next thing to try is replace the ignition switch.
Sounds like your ignition switch may be failing. Not the lock, but only the electrical part (switch). Easy to replace with the cluster out from what I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.