Merc E320 starter replacement
Mine is a 400E Merc. SInce it also has the same engine compartment setup, I will share with you my experience replacing it. Took me less than 2 hours to replace it.
- Disconnect battery negative cable
- Put floor jack under the oil pan (using a block of wood so as to not
dent the pan). No engine lift needed. Just take pressure off the mount
- Work light may be used to clearly see the engine. Place it between starter and radiator
- Remove 13mm nut holding the two fat positive wires to the solenoid.
- Remove the 1-conductor connector from the solenoid.
- Remove the splash shield between the tranny and the
driver's side wheel (just undo the two speed nuts and pull it off).
- Use 13mm socket and a 9" extension to remove the small nut at the
top starter mount. This nut holds on a wire harness. Remove the nut and
pull the harness off the bolt, and pull it aside.
- Use a 17mm socket to remove the power steering line clamp from the bottom front of the transmission (it's in the way of the lower starter bolt).
- Use 16mm socket for the two starter bolts (the top one requires
a deep socket). Remove those two bolts.
- Pull out the starter.
-Put the new one then bolt in using the disassembling procedures.
It maybe a bit confusing for a neophyte backyard mechanic, but you will surely get the hang of it.