Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

E320 Cold Gearshift problem

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  eric242340 
#1 · (Edited)
With the sudden cold I picked up a problem with my E320 4-matic 1999 Wagon
After it stood overnight in the cold, and I start the car, once I shift to gear to drive it kills the engine. I have to wait a while till the initial revs come down (as these cars initially idle high for about 10 seconds and then drop down). Once it dropped down it will shift in gear but I notice some drop in revs once it engages it never had before.

After that the car drives absolutely perfectly with no transmission issues.

Is it the torque converter or transmission doing this ?

Since it only happens during cold, it definately shows that it is transmission fluid or TConverter fluid thickening due to cold.

#3 ·
Sorry for the delay. I was ill.
The mileage is high, but the car has been babied.
It has never been changed because of the Stupid Mercedes Benz "Sealed for Life" wrong turn.

The transmission works perfectly now, but I want to change the oil.
Obviously my Mercedes Mech doesnt want to do it, but I am going to do it myself as I have no other option.

I want to rephrase my question to,
"How do I get all the old oil out of the torque converter, because if I drop the pan only half of the specified 7 liter gets out.
Anyonehave an idea ?

#4 ·
I do think the fluid is your problem and you do not need to do a complete drain and refill but if that is what you want to do then you will need to find a workshop with the fluid extractor unit, this takes the old fluid out via one of the oil cooler pipes and puts the new fluid in at the same time via the other oil cooler pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.