how much will oil changes cost once warranty is up? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-15-2002, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
how much will oil changes cost once warranty is up?

after the warranty is up, are we still supposed to go to the dealer to get oil changes (i know it's probably the smart thing to do)? and how much will they cost? anyone have any clue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-15-2002, 09:38 AM

Send a message via MSN to Pweb
Yep, that would be the smart thing to do... I've been told it's going to cost around $100-$150. Yes it seems a bit high but you'd need to do it only once per 10.000 miles.

With other oil/cars you change oil every 3.000 miles and you pay about $30-$50 for good oil, so $150 / $50 = 3, and 10.000 miles / 3 = approximately 3.000 miles, so it's about the same as you'd pay with your other car, but you pay everything at once for 10.000 miles... makes sense?

2003 C230 Kompressor Sedan Sport, Auto, Black on Black, C2, CD Changer, Leather, Heated Seats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Need Web Hosting?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-15-2002, 09:40 AM

I change my own oil on my cars for $10-15 a car a time. When I get the Benz and the warranty is over I will do the same. Just go buy Mobil One and Buy the filter from MB and change it yourself. It is not like they do anything special in there.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-15-2002, 10:30 AM

What am I getting for $100 + besides oil and a filter which should cost around $20.00.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-15-2002, 11:24 AM

Dealer markup.

However, the oil might cost more than that, Mobil 1 isn't cheap.

Consider yourself lucky - on my Porsche the dealer wants $350 for an oil change, and the best you can do with an independant shop is $120 or so, because you need at least 10 quarts of Mobil 1!
post #6 of 8 Old 11-15-2002, 03:36 PM

Just paid $80 for an un-scheduled change at 2000 miles.
I did it because of the break-in period and it was not covered by the warranty.
At first, I got PO'd at the Orlando dealer, but than I saw that they use 6 quarts of Mobil 1 @ $7 a quart.
It's not that high compared to doing my wife's Saturn with 4 quarts of Mobil 1 every 3000 to 4000 miles.
When the warranty runs out I am going to find a good independent mechanic for the heavier stuff, but for routine things I am going to do it myself.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-15-2002, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

I did an early oil change also at 2500 miles.

Labor ($91/hour). . . $16.50
Parts (filter and o-ring). . . $13.08
Oil (6 quarts Castrol Syntec). . . $45.00
Sales tax. . . $3.82

Total. . . $78.40

Filters can be purchased at most any parts store. The Advanced Parts store near me has them. Oil can be purchased at discount or warehouse stores, parts stores or an oil distrubutor. You will need an MB filter wrench which should cost about $8. A Topsider or similar syphon type device makes the change easier, since you can suck the oil out of the dip stick tube, instead of having to remove the belly pan under the engine. Also, I have heard the threads in the oil pan are easy the strip. MB techs say the Topsider will remove more oil than draining due to the location of the drain. Topsiders can be purchased at boating and marine stores.[/list]

2002 C230k, 6 speed, Jaspisblau, Charcoal Leather, C4, C5, C7, Euro COMAND

|
|
post #8 of 8 Old 11-15-2002, 08:34 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to craniusmaximus
I to paid $80 for an unscheduled oil change and may do so for the remainder of the warranty, maybe. Though I have yet to price a filter cartridge, six quarts of Mobile One is only 30 buck, so an $80 oil changes is about 35-40 dollars too much. Not only is there nothing magic about the oil change, it may in fact be easier than most other cars. The dipstick tube is designed for siphoning the oil out and the filter is changed from the top of the engine. I think the most concern I have is the mess of removing the old filter cartridge from itís well. The money saved on home oil changes will be better set aside and used for the more complex work required after the warranty runs out. Here again I may consider using a qualified independent repair shop rather than MB.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion!
---------------------------------------
2002 C230K
6 speed
Magma Red
Charcoal Cloth
Bose Sound
Delivered 02/02/02

1987 VW Jetta GL (380K)
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement