Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoking Tranny

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  eric242340 
#1 ·
1991 300e auto 4Matic 260K

New to the board first post. Purchased last year. This is just my second W12X sedan I have ever owned. The other one was a 190e.
I do enjoy working on these overly complex cars!
Hope to get some help on my smoking transmission issue..
Bare with me as I explain this odd behavior.

It leaks mostly after about an hour or so on the interstate. Enough is coming out to get on the exhaust and make a smoke screen.
If only I could control this It would be good to out run the bad guys on my 007 chase...
No ...all jokes aside its pretty bad and I need some help on this.

Checked fluid level after cycling through all gears and temp is up to normal. The reading is showing above the top mark by about an inch.
It has not always been that high. I have checked it sometimes in past and it was just a bit above the top line.
At first I just thought someone added to much fluid then the level decreased and I did not see that much leak out. (keeping a close eye on the ground after parking)
It does not always smoke though I don't have more than an hour on the interstate normally.
I know I plan to drain it to the correct level as I cannot do a change right now.
I have not done a tranny oil change since I have owned it.
If I am not mistaken the tranny fluid and the transfer case fluid looks (are) the same ?
I may be crazy but it looks like it's possible the fluids in both of the gear boxes could cross over and over fill the other?

Not sure if this matters but I had another leak for the hydraulic fluid and it was inconsistent.
I found out a hydraulic fluid line next to the exhaust path was severed by what I don't know but I repaired it.
I wanted to check the SLS system so I got new hydraulic fluid and change out the transfer case fluid.

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.