Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1993 500sl won't start warm

9K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  RedLiner 
#1 ·
Changed crank sensor rotors, It starts right up cold. When warm it cranks and tries to start. wait for 20 mins starts right up. My research says fuel accumulator or fuel pump sensor. Anyone have this problem. happened suddenly

#2 ·
Do you mean the crank position sensor? This is the sensor that is located just behind the engine above the flywheel and is the usual suspect if an engine won't start when hot.
There is a fuel pump relay which is located above where the battery is situated, but these either work or they don't!

#4 ·
Before going too much further, just have a look inside your two distributor caps and check for moisture and carbon tracking.
My 1993 SL500 suffered the same problem as yours, and after trying almost everything, it was the Bosch distributor caps.
Even after drying them and scraping off the verdigris and carbon the car would still start cold then die when hot. The caps would then again be full of moisture.
I changed the Bosch distributor caps and rotors for the better quality Beru parts and I've not had a problem since.

Reactions: mbfixr
#10 ·
Glad the problem is fixed. Check the dist. caps from time to time and wipe away any signs of tracking.

Mine played up recently so I used a fine grinding/polishing compound with Dremel drill buffer pad and polished out the tell tale tracking from the centre terminal to the four take off points on both dist. caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.