My E320 doesn't recognize my key - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-02-2005, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My E320 doesn't recognize my key

Hi everyone, I'm really new to the mercedes scene. I actually picked up one that was flooded, but got an amazing deal on it. Now I'm trying to get it working.

My problem is when I put in my smartkey the car won't start, actually it seems like it won't recognize it at all. When the key is in I hear the steering wheel unlock and the speedometer display illuminates with the current temp and mileage. Most of the electronics work and whatnot, everything that I've found not to be working is electric motors that were killed by the flood.

Both batteries (main in the trunk, and backup under the hood) were dead and replaced. I have done a weeks worth of reading here and all over the internet and cannot find the answer to this. Does the smartkey code need to be re-synced with the car? Could one of the computers have died?

Thank You in advance for everyone's help and support, getting this benz to run will be a tough task, but I believe I can do it.

2004 Mercedes E320
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-09-2005, 07:13 AM

smart key? the chip card like key? if it is, then its the keyless go. right? whats the message on the instrument cluster? i have experienced this one and replacing the ESM(electronic selector module) solved it. but cant decide right away coz i haven't gathered much info about the situation. better have it checked using the car scanner. this things about keyless go are so weird sometimes.
#3 Old 10-19-2005, 05:38 PM

No, the Smart Key and Keyless Go are different things. The Smart Key is what was introduced on the 98 or 99 E-Class, no flip-out metal key, just a laser and a removable valet metal key.

Have you tried this valet key?

You'll have to order a new Smart Key from the dealer, which is quite expensive. MB is perpetually trying to answer the questions that no one has asked. Hence, an over-complicated ignition system that does away with actual keys in favor of a more secure laser.

Benjamin K. Earle
Charleston, SC
1999 ML430
1997 E420

RIP: 1995 S320, 1998 S600
#4 Old 10-19-2005, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

I'm guessing it's a 211. Anyway, make sure your batteries are good in your key. Probably about 90% of customers complaints about thier keys to me are solved with new batteries. Does it lock and unlock the doors? If it does, then there's probably something internally wrong with your car, maybe your EIS or something else. Is it cranking when you try to start it? If your doorlocks don't work, try resynchronizing the key by doing this. Insert key in the ignition. Turn key to position 2. Turn off car and remove key. Hold down the lock button and simultaniously press the unlock button 5 times. Then release both buttons and press either the unlock or lock button once. See if that resynchronizes it. I may be backwards on the lock and unlock button though. It's hard to remember when I don't have a key in my hand.
#5 Old 06-08-2010, 10:11 AM

If you choose to buy a new keyless entry, don't use USKeyless. They are HORRIBLE! I ordered from them . They didn't even ship the part for over a month after purchase despite numerous calls/emails. They were eager to respond until they got paid, then NOTHING. They won't answer phone or return e-mails. Their installation instructions are the worst I have ever seen. It says something like "Choose the brown wire" when there is over 100 brown wires. They are NEVER available for assistance even though they claim assistance available (and website says avail even on the weekends for assistance). Now it has been 3 months, my car still has the floorboard tore up awaiting a PROMISED e-mail with pictures, but nothing. I have asked for a refund, but they won't respond. STAY AWAY from USKeyless!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons