How to remove 300E external driver side door handle - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-14-2006, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How to remove 300E external driver side door handle

Hi, I would like to know what needs to be done in order to remove the driver's side 1986 300E external front door handle and locking mechanism.

I see there is one hidden screw on the outside bellow the front of the handle when I pull it out to open the door, and I have already removed the inside door cover but it's really hard to get a good look of the area where the handle is attached from the inside.

Has anyone done this procedure to remove the handle that could give me some insight? Or maybe point me to a step by step guide? I've searched the web (google) and this forum but have not found any articles/posts dealing with this particular procedure.

Thanks.
-Alex

Azurite Metallic Blue 1986 300E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-14-2006, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

I believe right on the rear section of the door, in the door jam, you'll see a little plug. I think if you remove that plug you'll find a screw. I believe if you undo that screw, the lock and lock cylinder will come out. Then you'll just need to pull the handle out by moving it back and pulling it out.
#3 Old 04-14-2006, 02:18 PM

(Thread Starter)
Yes, just learned this from the 72-240 sheet of the service manual. Its a 3mm Allen screw which needs to be loosened 4-5 turns, then insert the key and rotate it 60 degrees to the right (same direction as locking), and then you can pull out the whole lock and tumbler assembly towards the back of the car. Removing the handle after that is then very simple by grabbing it and pushing it also towards the back of the car. No need to remove the door cover at all. Thanks.

-Alex

Azurite Metallic Blue 1986 300E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons