Limp mode - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-24-2008, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Limp mode

My wife's '97 C230 blew a trans oil cooler hose recently. She drove the car for about .5 miles after. Naturally, a lot of the oil blew out, but when I drained the trans, the remaining 4-5 quarts didn't look or smell burned. Since I couldn't get the car out of limp mode after a refill, I replaced the AT conductor plate (with new filter). Reset the pending OBD11 codes-several times-with the same codes returning, even after disconnecting the battery overnight. They are: P0130 and P0730. The car will start out in first, shift to second, and will stay there until I disconnect the battery again. Goes from drive to reverse normally, but that's all. Any ideas, anyone? BTW the solenoids looked fine, with no evidence of clogging, overheating, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-04-2009, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbollaert View Post
My wife's '97 C230 blew a trans oil cooler hose recently. She drove the car for about .5 miles after. Naturally, a lot of the oil blew out, but when I drained the trans, the remaining 4-5 quarts didn't look or smell burned. Since I couldn't get the car out of limp mode after a refill, I replaced the AT conductor plate (with new filter). Reset the pending OBD11 codes-several times-with the same codes returning, even after disconnecting the battery overnight. They are: P0130 and P0730. The car will start out in first, shift to second, and will stay there until I disconnect the battery again. Goes from drive to reverse normally, but that's all. Any ideas, anyone? BTW the solenoids looked fine, with no evidence of clogging, overheating, etc.

I'm working in a similar problem right now. It's a 2003 C240, (203.061). Same problem with shifting issues. I found that the ETC (EGS52 Transmission Control Module) doesn't work due a some water damage at the buttom of the passenger side footwell caused either by some flood or A/C leaks.

So A used module from scrap yard and coding in my case was enough to fix the problem.

Good luck
#3 Old 08-04-2009, 09:07 PM

What you need to do is to clear the Mercedes codes in the EGS (ETC). These codes cannot be cleared with generic OBD II scanners. They require the Mercedes hand held tester or SDS or some equivalent scanners. Once the codes are cleared, the car will shift beautifully because you have fixed the problem causing the codes.
#4 Old 08-14-2009, 02:38 PM

Looks like a trip to the dealer unless you can get your hands on a Mercedes scanning tool.
#5 Old 10-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Gan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbollaert View Post
the Fault Code
P0730 @ Target Gear Not Reached,
Transmission in Mechanical-hydraulic limp-home mode

the possible cause ....
~ ATF oil Level ... insufficient
~ Wiring Contact ... Loosed / Open Circuited
~ ATF filter ... Loosed / Not Fitted

~ Shift Pressure Control Solenoid Valve (Y3/6y2) ... the Valve Body Solenoid Valve Damaged
~ The Valve Body Command Valve ... The Hydraulic Valve Body Damaged

Advice To Remove The Valve Body ... Counter Check Again ...
Probably ... Not Properly Fitted ...

Last edited by Gan; 10-11-2009 at 02:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons