Water pump - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-10-2008, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Water pump

My 2000 E320 has now 100 000 miles and the dealer says it's time to change the water pump, since it has a little wobble on its shaft but their is no leaking of coolant liquid. As they charge a big amount of money to do the job, I want to know if it is a relative emergency to do the work or if I can wait some time or some new symptoms to occur. Also, is that job easy enough to have it done by a general mechanic?

Xenon/washers, Rain-sensing, Sunroof, Rear sunshade, Rear reading lamps, Bose, Cd changer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-11-2008, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't wait. With the shaft bearing worn like that, the impeller of the pump is probably rubbing against the housing, allowing shavings to circulate through your cooling system. The pump can fail completely at anytime, or leak, and may leave you stranded.

Replacing the water pump on your car is kinda a moderate job as far as water pump jobs are concern. I believe your car only has an electric suction fan, instead of a belt driven fan, so you won't need any special fan tools. But you would need a set of inverse torx sockets. If your comfortable with replacing water pumps on other cars, you can probably get away with doing it yourself on this car. Just be sure you're using the correct gasket with what timing cover version you have. There should be two different style gaskets (paper gasket, rubber gasket) that come with the pump (Genuine MB parts - not sure about aftermarket). Just use the same style that was taken off the old one.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-12-2008, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Zewerr, as usual, your answer is very useful. I then understand why the senoir mechanic at the MB dealer in Quebec city wanted to fix this rapidly but, they didn't have the $360 water pump in stock; they evaluated the whole job at over $700 and I find that amount too high. Last week, after a check engine, the same mechanic changed all spark plugs and one plug wire and it costed me over $600; I'm sure I can do that job next time but, as I don't have the Star analyser, I never know about the meanings of a new check engine. I often saw water pump changes on my VW that included a timing belt removale or remplacement. This time, the pump is just in front of us with plenty of space to work. I just don't know what you mean with electric suction fan??? And what are inverse torx sockets for in this paticular case? For now, I decided to order the pump from a retailer in the USA and save money; someone can find an OEM pump at between $100 and $150, but not in Canada. Pump number is 112 200 1501 with 2 water outlets and 112 200 1401 with 3 water outlets, depending on the motor number ;according to my motor number I'm supposed to need the first one with 2 water outlets. The seller I found includes the gasket with the pump. I would also need to know what kind of coolant to put into that car? Is that a specific one or not?

Xenon/washers, Rain-sensing, Sunroof, Rear sunshade, Rear reading lamps, Bose, Cd changer

post #4 of 10 Old 05-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member

Electric suction fan is an electric radiator fan that's mounted on the back of your radiator, instead of a fan mounted directly on the waterpump pulley. If your look at the bolts mounting the waterpump to the timing cover, or practically any bolt on your engine, you'll see what I mean by inverse torx. You should need an E10, E12, and E14 torx in order to do this job. As far as coolant is concern, use MB coolant from your dealership. It's alot more money than anything else you can buy, but the anti-corrosive properties of it works alot better in your Benz than any other coolant will.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-13-2008, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Zewerr for those very usefull and appreciated precisions; in fact, my car has that electric fan you are talking about. Incidently, with that 112 engine, what is the easiest way to drain coolant? Don't you find it a little premature to have a failed water pump at that mileage on such a car? At about 60 000 miles on a simpler VW Golf or Jetta, I can understand, but at only 100 000 miles on an E-Class that cost triple to amount...?

Last edited by E320 2000 Opale; 05-13-2008 at 09:40 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-13-2008, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member

If you remove the very front section of the underbody panels, you'll find a little red knob for the radiator drain. Just remove the reservior cap, open the drain and find something to catch it with.

With these waterpumps, it's kinda a hit and miss. Some only last about 50k miles, others last 200k. There's no telling how long they'll last.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-17-2008, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks again Zewerr.
I also found on that link, on another forum that permits uploads of bigger files, a personnal pdf file from someone who changed the water pump on a 1998 E320 Wagon with the belt driven fan. I understand better now how much easier it is to work on the electric fan model.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...-pump-wis.html

post #8 of 10 Old 04-09-2009, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
To tell you how the whole story ended, I had received at the end of may 2008 the water pump by mail with a replacement idler pulley. As I didn't have time to perform the job, I wanted a couple of weeks, using the car for 50 miles runs to go to work and checking each time coolant level. About 3 weeks later, one of my good friend got in a motorcycle accident with his wife and they both were lightly injured but needed to talk and be cared for. As they live over 100 miles from my home, I drove to their place one sunday and came back later in the evening. The morning after, my wife was supposed to take the car for some shopping near by. As she started the car, she noted an alarm about coolant level and she warned me immediately. I told here to stop the car right away. There was plenty of coolant on the ground and level was les than 40%. So this monday morning, I went into this job after having bought an inverse torx sockets set. The job went well and my only problem had been a torx bolt hidden beind the upper cover where there are a couple electric switches; as I did not remove that cover enough, I did not see the torx bolt beneath it. So I was trying to remove the water pump and that didn't work that way. I finally discovered the torx both beneath and removed the waterpump very easily. I cleaned all gasket residus and put the new rubber one in place before bolting back the new water pump. After that, putting all new coolant in and checking it everyday during a couple weeks to add a little as needed. That was quite a faisable job and I would do it again if needed. I costed me near $300 Can including a new belt ($60),idler pulley ($40) ,water pump ($150), MB coolant ($46) and distilled water ($4); compared to a least $700 at the dealer, that worths doing the job. I want again to thank Zewerr for everthing he told me about this job.

post #9 of 10 Old 04-24-2009, 04:44 AM
marktoyota

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Smile

as dealer says it's time to change the water pump, then you have do it. what you say.

post #10 of 10 Old 05-10-2009, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marktoyota View Post
as dealer says it's time to change the water pump, then you have do it. what you say.
I say that over one year after having done that job, everything is ok; no coolant leaking and no other issue about the water pump. Other issues meanwhile elsewhere on the car...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons