post #1 of 11 Old 02-15-2010, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Vehicle: E320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Car will not start after Changing Gear Selector

Hello Experts,

I took my car (E320) to a car wash, and apparently they mistakenly have fluids in the gear selector. The car was stuck in 2 and will not automatically shift. I got a OBD code saying the selector switch was faulty.

So bought a new Floor (Gear) shift assembly and replaced the fautly one. After that I tried to crank the car up but it wont start. We put the OBD code reader on the car to read it but now it says it passed.

Please does anyone know why it wont start. Does this means the shift assembly i just put in is wrong or is there a switch somewhere that will let the car knows its in Park or neutral before it can start? These are the questions I have been asking myself.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-16-2010, 05:05 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1993 SL500, 1998 SL500 pano top, 2005 ML270cdi.
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
It probably is just a simple switching issue, however to help us more can you add the year of your E320 and also your location to your user profile.

Depending on year an E320 gearbox can be either 722.6 or 722.9
post #3 of 11 Old 02-16-2010, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks RedLiner,
The car is a 2001 E320 with tranny ID 722.618.

post #4 of 11 Old 02-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Firstly double check that the shift assembly you bought is exactly the same as the original.

The lockout on your shift assy. is electronically controlled (N15/5) so the first thing is to check that the control unit is plugged in and connected correctly.

I have attached two images of the unit. If you need the full wiring diagram let me know and I'll copy and store it.

Click on images to enlarge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e320gboxelec2.jpg
Views:	1525
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	1351   Click image for larger version

Name:	e320gboxelec3.jpg
Views:	3403
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1352  
post #5 of 11 Old 02-16-2010, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLiner View Post
Firstly double check that the shift assembly you bought is exactly the same as the original.

The lockout on your shift assy. is electronically controlled (N15/5) so the first thing is to check that the control unit is plugged in and connected correctly.

I have attached two images of the unit. If you need the full wiring diagram let me know and I'll copy and store it.

Click on images to enlarge

Thanks Redliner, the shift assy is the correct one and I plugged in the control unit correctly.
Correct me if I'm wrong, from my understanding, the car should still be able to start no matter the connection of the shift assy.
I did not disconnect the battery before i changed the shift assy, someone mentioned maybe the neutral saftety switch might be damaged.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybal View Post
Thanks Redliner, the shift assy is the correct one and I plugged in the control unit correctly.
Correct me if I'm wrong, from my understanding, the car should still be able to start no matter the connection of the shift assy.
I did not disconnect the battery before i changed the shift assy, someone mentioned maybe the neutral saftety switch might be damaged.
If the starter is locked out the car just will not start.
You mentioned the car was washed, did they also power wash the engine bay?
There is a module in the engine bay that houses the starter lock out switch and other control circuits.

I've included more diagrams where these sensitive circuits are housed. If the engine bay was washed check that they are dry.
With the N15/3 connector check pins 33 and 34 (resistance to ground) as in the 1.34 text.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E320 connector.jpg
Views:	1792
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1353   Click image for larger version

Name:	E320 connector2.jpg
Views:	1186
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	1354   Click image for larger version

Name:	E320 connector3.jpg
Views:	1219
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1355   Click image for larger version

Name:	e320lockout.jpg
Views:	1571
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1356  
post #7 of 11 Old 02-16-2010, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLiner View Post
If the starter is locked out the car just will not start.
You mentioned the car was washed, did they also power wash the engine bay?
There is a module in the engine bay that houses the starter lock out switch and other control circuits.

I've included more diagrams where these sensitive circuits are housed. If the engine bay was washed check that they are dry.
With the N15/3 connector check pins 33 and 34 (resistance to ground) as in the 1.34 text.
Redliner, it seems I didn't give enough details. What i was saying about the wash was that, i took it to carwash where they spilled one of the fluid into the shift assy. That messed up the shifter, it was still driving and starting but was in leap mode, it wasn't changing gears automatic.
That was why i bought a new shift assy. So when I put this new shifter, then the car was not starting.
So i was thinking, even if the shifter i just putting in is messed up too at least the car should still start like the old shifter.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybal View Post
Redliner, it seems I didn't give enough details. What i was saying about the wash was that, i took it to carwash where they spilled one of the fluid into the shift assy. That messed up the shifter, it was still driving and starting but was in leap mode, it wasn't changing gears automatic.
That was why i bought a new shift assy. So when I put this new shifter, then the car was not starting.
So i was thinking, even if the shifter i just putting in is messed up too at least the car should still start like the old shifter.
My philosophy on these problems is always 'if it worked before, what have I done to change it'!!

Well, in your case you took the car to a cleaning service that spilled a liquid into the shift area which initiated your problem.

If it were me I would have immediately informed the company that it would be at their expense to rectify the breakdown they had caused, and take the car to an approved MB workshop to have the car working again.

If you have some other arrangement with the car wash company, I think I would re-install the original shift unit just to ascertain if the car will start as it did before, and take it from there.

I assume that you have checked fuses??????
post #9 of 11 Old 04-06-2010, 07:36 AM

Vehicle: 1998 E320
I have a 1998 E320. Spiller water on the shifter last Friday and had to drive 60 miles in "limp home" mode. I purchased a new Gear Position Module from the local MB dealer and installed last night. When I tried to start the car after re-assembly .... nothing. I will go back and check my connections, but do you have any other suggestions? Is there some type of reset that needs to be accomplished for the vehicle to recognize the new module? Kaybal, did you resolve your issue?

P.S. - The gear position module is the IC board housed within the shifter that I understand is the problematic item when liquid has been spilled on the shifter. Thanks in advance for your help!
post #10 of 11 Old 04-06-2010, 07:41 AM

Vehicle: 1998 E320
Hey, Redliner; The documentation you posted with the schematics and component location information; what is the source? Is this an affordable package I could purchase, is it on-line or is it a dealer only software package? Looks like a GREAT tool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons