Vibration at 55mph-60mph - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 01-07-2003, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Vibration at 55mph-60mph

I have a 97 E420, and whenever i approach 55 mph, i notice a slight vibration in the steering wheel, i assume transmitted from the drivetrain or tires. (Perhaps balancing) This only occurs between 55mph and 60mph, any faster or slower and this vibration is not detected.

Has anyone noticed this before, or is this perhaps a tire balancing issue ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-07-2003, 07:26 PM

Welcome to Benzforum. Normally problems of this type are related to either balancing issues or tires out of round. I would first try having the tires balanced and rotated(i.e. front to the rear, and rear to the front). You might also check the air pressure in each tire, this might cause this problem also, and would be an inexpensive fix.

Ken

Bigbenzman
post #3 of 16 Old 01-08-2003, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbenzman
Welcome to Benzforum. Normally problems of this type are related to either balancing issues or tires out of round. I would first try having the tires balanced and rotated(i.e. front to the rear, and rear to the front). You might also check the air pressure in each tire, this might cause this problem also, and would be an inexpensive fix.

Ken
Agreed. Seems like good advice. Always check for the inexpensive solutions first.

'08 C300 Sport/Barolo Red/Gray-Black Leather/6 SP/AMG Wheels/iPod/P2/MultiMedia/Tele Aid
'09 Passion Coupe/Metallic Gray/Black Tridion/Comfort Package/Fog Lights/Solid Roof/Clock-Tach/Anti-Theft/Navigation/Bluetooth

post #4 of 16 Old 01-15-2003, 08:05 AM

My E320 (an many others) has a vibration problem that occur on certains circonstances and speeds (70 mph on a brand-new pavement, for exemple); it is mostly an periodic ocscillation that we feel in the seats, in the steering, on the transmission stick; it souds like "wroummm....wroummmm....wroummmm.... It is likely cause by some rubber joints on the driving shaft. I'v try some other cars and they all can produce that vibration.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-18-2003, 10:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to craniusmaximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by E320 2000 Opale
My E320 (an many others) has a vibration problem that occur on certains circonstances and speeds (70 mph on a brand-new pavement, for exemple); it is mostly an periodic ocscillation that we feel in the seats, in the steering, on the transmission stick; it souds like "wroummm....wroummmm....wroummmm.... It is likely cause by some rubber joints on the driving shaft. I'v try some other cars and they all can produce that vibration.
I noticed a similar or maybe the same sound at low speed on a 1998 E320 wagon, which seemed to be coming from the dash when cold (10 degrees F or less). I had the car as a loaner, other than that I liked it.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion!
---------------------------------------
2002 C230K
6 speed
Magma Red
Charcoal Cloth
Bose Sound
Delivered 02/02/02

1987 VW Jetta GL (380K)
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee
post #6 of 16 Old 01-23-2003, 03:21 PM

First, make sure you have all your wheels balanced and the car alignment. After that if it continues I would bet that it is a constitutional problem.

Xenon/washers, Rain-sensing, Sunroof, Rear sunshade, Rear reading lamps, Bose, Cd changer
post #7 of 16 Old 02-04-2003, 06:58 AM

Re: Vibration at 55mph-60mph

You dirve too slow. It's an german car whitch is build for high speed.
That's the problem 8)
post #8 of 16 Old 03-14-2003, 06:53 AM

2000 E320 oscillating vibration problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by E320 2000 Opale
reply= I just purchased a used 200 Eclass sedan which also has the same problem with a oscillating vibration starting primarily at 45 mph and also predominately @ 55 to 60 mph. The sound is the same as described... wroummmmm....wroummmmm, etc and is very irritating. My dealer has
changed out motor and tranny mounts and is going to change out the drive shaft next week to see if we can alleviate the vibration. Got any other suggestions????
post #9 of 16 Old 03-19-2003, 03:43 PM
fyu

Re: Vibration at 55mph-60mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by osiris667

I have a 97 E420, and whenever i approach 55 mph, i notice a slight vibration in the steering wheel, i assume transmitted from the drivetrain or tires. (Perhaps balancing) This only occurs between 55mph and 60mph, any faster or slower and this vibration is not detected.

Has anyone noticed this before, or is this perhaps a tire balancing issue ?
I have the exact same problem on my 97 E320. Both the dealer and tire shop think it is due to wheel balance. They have rotated and balanced multiple times. Also had alignment done. The problem persists.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-04-2003, 12:31 PM

Has gilford1 found relief for his problem?

Xenon/washers, Rain-sensing, Sunroof, Rear sunshade, Rear reading lamps, Bose, Cd changer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons