post #1 of 11 Old 06-14-2003, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to tvgm84
(Thread Starter)
problems starting a C280

Hi, this is my first post.

Anyways, I have a 1998 C280 and randomly the car will not start. It will take sometimes 2, sometimes as many as 10 turns of the key before it will. I have taken it in to a shop, and they have been unable to find the problem. I was hoping someone else has had this problem and knows how to fix it. Thanks.

-Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-23-2003, 02:46 PM

starting problems in C280

i get this frequently, and suspect it is a vapor lock.

Did you ever resolve your problem?
post #3 of 11 Old 02-22-2004, 08:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to vivaslavs
Problems starting

It may not be mechanical, have you checked to see if you key fob is loose in the ignition? Some models have had problems with a loose key fob, in turn causing them not to start. You may want to check that as well.

post #4 of 11 Old 02-23-2004, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member

the first thing you should check is your fuel pressure. you can hook a gauge up right to the fuel rail and observe what it does when you attempt to crank the engine. if it does not rise to 4 bar, you need to chek the fuel system (pump, pump relay, etc.).
if fuel is ok, check the air filter and the plugs. it is best to make sure the simple stuff is working correctly before racking your brain on more complex diagnosis. it is possible you have a coil that is not working. in most of these cases, you would have a check engine light as it is misfiring and could damage the TWC.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-14-2004, 07:59 PM

Re: problems starting a C280

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvgm84
Hi, this is my first post.

Anyways, I have a 1998 C280 and randomly the car will not start. It will take sometimes 2, sometimes as many as 10 turns of the key before it will. I have taken it in to a shop, and they have been unable to find the problem. I was hoping someone else has had this problem and knows how to fix it. Thanks.

-Eric
I have a 1994 C280 and have had the same problem since I bought it. It can happen once server months or server times in a month. The shop could not figure out the problem. I finally find way to work around the problem. When this problem occurs, just pull the ignition key out and wait for at least one minute. Insert the key and the engine start in just one turn. It works for me 99% of times. Only once recently, I have to left car for 2 hour before I can start it. Some one told me that when fail to start the engine, pulling out the key will cause the embedded computer to reset itself.

I would like to see if anyone has fixed the problem or better solution.

Jian
post #6 of 11 Old 04-15-2004, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

one, taking the key out will not reset anything. two, where are you taking the car? if you're at an independent, i suggest taking it to a dealer where they understand the way these systems work together and how to fix the problem. if you are going to a dealer and they don't seem to be able to fix the problem, is it because they can't verify its existence or that their previous attempts have failed? there are not issues on these vehicle that cannot be fixed. yes, MB's can be quirky, but should never leave you stranded or not start. regardless, the shop you go to is not doing their job properly, and this situation needs to be addressed. i have never expected one of my clients to just accept and inconvenient malfunction on their vehicle and i can't understand why any other facility that works on MB would either.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-15-2004, 08:26 PM

On a 94, I would say the OVP. I'm not sure the 98 still have the OVP.
It's a metal box withh a fuse on top. Located in the engine bay, passenger side, towards the back under the plastic cover.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-20-2004, 06:00 PM

took out my neg on the batt and on again... then it starts.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-05-2005, 07:16 PM

Guys,
I have a 95 C280 and I am having the exact problem! I could only start after 5 - 10 mins.

Please clarify with me when your cars couldn;t start, it could crank right? and the rear view mirror interior lights start flashing alternately?

I do believe it is not a mechanical problem too.

Please help!
post #10 of 11 Old 01-21-2005, 08:39 AM

C280 Starting problems

I have a '98 C280 Sport and was having the same problem. After changing the fuel filter (integrated pressure regulator), I took it to the dealer and the best guess that they came up with was the Crank position sensor. They changed it and shazaam, works like a champ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons