How bad did I screw up changing a flat tire? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-12-2003, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How bad did I screw up changing a flat tire?

Sorry for the long post, but can't find any other way to describe my problem:
Got a flat last night (C240) and changed the tire with the spare. Didn't realize that there are shorter bolts used for the spare as opposed to longer bolts for the original wheel (even says so on the spare tire, but didn't notice till after the fact, doh!). I had put in one of the longer bolts and tightened it down to a point where it would keep spinning and not get any tighter. I thought I had stripped the bolt so I left it in place and used 4 of the shorter bolts to lock the wheel in place. After putting everything back we start to take off and hear this grinding noise so we stop immediately. I get out of the car and tell my wife to drive the car while I look at the wheel to see what's going on, wheel rotates maybe an inch or two and I can tell something is rubbing on that wheel. I figure it's the long bolt so I try to take it off, only way I got the bolt out was to pull on the wheel while someone else spun the bolt out of the hole (put enough pressure on the bolt to grab the threads?) In the end I get the 5 short spare tire bolts on and was able to make it home.

Now I'm worried cause I don't know what kind of damage I might have caused by using the long bolt with the spare tire. The wheel never made a full rotation with the long bolt in place, but the noise it made while on the car was horrible. I'm wondering if a tire shop would be able to tell if there was any damage or if I should set up a serivce appointment with my shop to have them inspect it instead? Any thoughts?

dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-12-2003, 04:28 PM

I am wondering if the noise you heard was the bolt digging into the rotor.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-12-2003, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

The long bolt when used with the spare will extent into the parking brake. You may have damaged to parking brake. The parking brake is a drum type and the inside of the rotor is used as the drum. Also have the shop check for damaged threads in the rotor. You may have stripped them after all.

2002 C230k, 6 speed, Jaspisblau, Charcoal Leather, C4, C5, C7, Euro COMAND

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #4 of 11 Old 08-13-2003, 01:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to azngigolo Send a message via MSN to azngigolo Send a message via Yahoo to azngigolo
font or rear tires?

i had a similar problem... i put on wheel locks which initially appeared to be the same size as the existing lugs... but when i started driving i could hear something knock on both rear tires w/ every rotation. evidently the new lug was a hair too long and had to be ground down.

i was told they were hitting the rotor. i heard from someone else who accidentally put in significantly longer lugs and his car wouldn't even move. seems to be common issue w/ mercedes cars.

\'02 C230K Cpe, Auto, Blk, Sony CD/MP3 Alpine Type-S + Sub, C2, Kleeman 18\" + Toyo, Kleeman Exhaust
post #5 of 11 Old 08-13-2003, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

The parking brakes are on the rear and can be destroyed by bolts that are too long. The lug bolt can't hit the rotor because they go through the rotor hat.

|
|
post #6 of 11 Old 08-14-2003, 06:20 AM

Wow, I think I have learned a valuable lesson here. If I get a flat I'll press the Tele-Aid button and say "help - I have a flat!"

2002 Black/Oyster Cl.; C2, C7, V60 Phone, CD Changer
post #7 of 11 Old 08-14-2003, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis
Wow, I think I have learned a valuable lesson here. If I get a flat I'll press the Tele-Aid button and say "help - I have a flat!"
Or you can use the short bolts included with the spare, jack, lug wrench, chock etc.

|
|
post #8 of 11 Old 08-15-2003, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
had it checked out yesterday at the dealership and they reported everything is fine, no damage to the rotor or parking brake. Got the tire patched and can finally drive it without worry.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-07-2003, 12:54 PM

I have had the similar problem with 2003 C320 4 Matic. But my Merc service dept is charging me $1300/- to repair that.

After changing the spare wheel, i didn't even drive the car!!! There were no noise at all. Without driving the car can it really damage anything??

What do you say???
post #10 of 11 Old 10-07-2003, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

It is possible that just using the long bolts could damage something. $1300 sounds extreme to me when the car was not moved.

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons