my suspension is squeaking!! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-17-2003, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
my suspension is squeaking!!

i have a 2002 c240 sedan and the suspension is squeaking loudly.

every turn i make or every bump in the road you can hear loud squeaks.

If anyone know how to fix this problem plz let me now.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-17-2003, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

The first thing to try is lubricating the front sway bar bushings.

2002 C230k, 6 speed, Jaspisblau, Charcoal Leather, C4, C5, C7, Euro COMAND

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 11 Old 09-17-2003, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
im getting the squeaking from the rear.

How would i access the sways? and what kind of lubricant shuold i use.

thanks

post #4 of 11 Old 09-17-2003, 07:32 PM

Send a message via MSN to ricardo
Look the suspension bars

Hi! My car have de same problem but now I know that the bars are damaged by a clash try to look if one of the bar or an arm is thickset but make the revision with the car in the 4 wheels dont make it lifted for security reasons. If one or more of the bar or arm is thickset send it to the dealer or repair yourself if you have enought experience. If u have a problem contact me if u want see u.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-18-2003, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbenz
im getting the squeaking from the rear.

How would i access the sways? and what kind of lubricant shuold i use.

thanks
Have the dealer fix it under warranty.

|
|
post #6 of 11 Old 07-10-2007, 09:47 PM

what type of Grease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn
The first thing to try is lubricating the front sway bar bushings.

Is there something specific to MB or just generic grease? Can I use a generic silicone lube or do i have to take it to a dealer? Can you recommend one?
post #7 of 11 Old 07-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

Any rubber lubricant should do the job, but you might call your dealer's service department to find out what they use.

|
|
post #8 of 11 Old 07-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

All the 01 and 02 non 4-matic C-classes were plagued with suspension noises. And many of the 03's as well. All of which there are upgraded parts available for them to offer a more perminant fix to them.

Squeaks over bumps is usually caused by the swaybar bushings. On early 203 C-classes MB offers upgraded bushings and bushing brackets with dust boots on them to keep the grease in and the dirt out. MB has kinda a universal paste that can be used to grease up alot of stuff on the chassis, but it's damn expensive. This is what I apply to all the swaybar bushings I can do. For the rear, there's no updated parts available. But a good greasing of the bushing will usually fix any squeak caused by it.

A high pitched clicking noise is usually caused by a worn out swaybar end link. Once again, there's an updated part available. Newer style endlinks are available that usually last alot longer.

And lastly, for clunking noises and sometimes even squeaks, it's very common for the front thrust arm (or cross strut - many people call it many different names) bushings commonly crack, and leak all their fluid out. Sometimes they can even be mistaken for an engine oil leak. There is an updated bushing available, but it isn't that much better and can still tend to crack.

Reminder, that all the stuff I just mentioned are for non 4-matics.

The swaybar bushings can probably be done by someone who's faily comfortable working on their own vehicle, as long as you know how to get the right parts that you need.

Once again, the endlinks can also be done by anyone who has a basic knowledge of what they're doing.

The thrust arm bushings on the otherhand, by be rather difficult. The thrust arms have to be removed competely, and the bushings have to be pressed out and in.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-11-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zewerr
All the 01 and 02 non 4-matic C-classes were plagued with suspension noises. And many of the 03's as well. All of which there are upgraded parts available for them to offer a more perminant fix to them.

Squeaks over bumps is usually caused by the swaybar bushings. On early 203 C-classes MB offers upgraded bushings and bushing brackets with dust boots on them to keep the grease in and the dirt out. MB has kinda a universal paste that can be used to grease up alot of stuff on the chassis, but it's damn expensive. This is what I apply to all the swaybar bushings I can do. For the rear, there's no updated parts available. But a good greasing of the bushing will usually fix any squeak caused by it.

A high pitched clicking noise is usually caused by a worn out swaybar end link. Once again, there's an updated part available. Newer style endlinks are available that usually last alot longer.

And lastly, for clunking noises and sometimes even squeaks, it's very common for the front thrust arm (or cross strut - many people call it many different names) bushings commonly crack, and leak all their fluid out. Sometimes they can even be mistaken for an engine oil leak. There is an updated bushing available, but it isn't that much better and can still tend to crack.

Reminder, that all the stuff I just mentioned are for non 4-matics.

The swaybar bushings can probably be done by someone who's faily comfortable working on their own vehicle, as long as you know how to get the right parts that you need.

Once again, the endlinks can also be done by anyone who has a basic knowledge of what they're doing.

The thrust arm bushings on the otherhand, by be rather difficult. The thrust arms have to be removed competely, and the bushings have to be pressed out and in.

Is that paste something the parts department will sell? Or should I just go down to the local shop and get a rubber lube, whether it's grease or silicone based.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

If I remember correctly, a small can of the paste that I use from the parts department is somewhere around the range of $50 or so. I wish I had a part # for you.

There should be some kind of substitute at a much better value. Polyurethane bushing grease might work ok. I don't know who makes a similar paste, though. You might just want to ask around at a parts store and see what they have available. Just let them know what your using it for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons