What grade of gas do you use in your Benz? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 02-19-2004, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What grade of gas do you use in your Benz?

I have been running my C230 coupe on Premium gas, as specified in the owner's manual. What grade of gas is everyone running in their cars?

My 1.8 Turbo VW seemed to run fine on regular. Anyone have any opinions?

2004 C230 Coupe Mars Red 6spd Sunroof Bixenons
Oyster Leather Heated seats Bose Stereo 6 CD Wood trim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-20-2004, 07:00 AM

Premium is used as instructed in the manual. Around here, that usually means 93 octane with a few places listed as 91 octane.

'08 C300 Sport/Barolo Red/Gray-Black Leather/6 SP/AMG Wheels/iPod/P2/MultiMedia/Tele Aid
'09 Passion Coupe/Metallic Gray/Black Tridion/Comfort Package/Fog Lights/Solid Roof/Clock-Tach/Anti-Theft/Navigation/Bluetooth
post #3 of 29 Old 02-20-2004, 07:43 AM

I use Premium gas on my c230 coupe only. I also have a 2003 VW 1.8T jetta when I used regular grade gas on it , it ran a little sluggish compared to when I use premium. I know use premium only gas only.

post #4 of 29 Old 02-20-2004, 08:39 AM

Good question !!!

I use regular 87 octan ... The car runs really fine even under -30F. However I am not sure of the long term effects.

I had a Dodge Stealth that I ran on regular basis on 87 octan and the car was just perfect even after 100000mi.

In Montreal the benzin is very very expensive ...

I know that in California the benzin even the 91 octan is not a real 91 octan because it contains some anti pollution staff (metanol ?).

I think there is a marge to run the car on 87 octan. The car's computer can adjust the engin for it but I don't know the long term effect.
post #5 of 29 Old 02-20-2004, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

I use premium, which is 93 around here.

2002 C230k, 6 speed, Jaspisblau, Charcoal Leather, C4, C5, C7, Euro COMAND

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #6 of 29 Old 02-22-2004, 01:14 PM

I use 93 octane- I even found one gas station that runs a special every Friday where 93 is the same price as 89. Would not have been my first choice since it is Lewis Petroleum and not one of the big names, but I have noticed no ill effects and even increased fuel economy (20mpg vs 18.5)!!!! Think I've found a new favorite gas station...
post #7 of 29 Old 02-22-2004, 07:22 PM

I use premium around the city and when I'm down South. When I go on long trips and end up in the frozen North where the gas is expensive I buy mid-grade. I notice about a 2.5mpg dip (from 32 to 29.5). That could just be due to my paranoia.
post #8 of 29 Old 03-04-2004, 05:23 PM

i use 93

Yeah i use 93 octane in my baby just like the book say but i too wonder if there would be a different feel.
post #9 of 29 Old 03-11-2004, 05:59 PM

The way I see it is in two ways. You paid a lot for this car. You love it. It feels good when you press the gas pedal. You look good in it. It looks good on you. Oh yeah! I said two things I spoke to someone that races cars about the type of gas you should put in high performance cars. He told me that in the short run you can get away with it but in the long run....and then there was a lot of tech stuff I didn't understand which came down to it would be a bad thing to use the cheapo gas.

In California gas is $2.30 for premium in most places and up. Everything here is made cheaper but cost more. You can't drink the water, breath the air, eat the food, look at people for fear they will kill you and the worst thing is there is so many cars on the road you can't enjoy your C-Coupe as it should be enjoyed. So why am I here? I work outside and this is the best weather anywhere in the country to work outside.

2003 Pewter C230 Sports Coupe
post #10 of 29 Old 03-11-2004, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosea
In California gas is $2.30 for premium in most places and up. Everything here is made cheaper but cost more. You can't drink the water, breath the air, eat the food, look at people for fear they will kill you and the worst thing is there is so many cars on the road you can't enjoy your C-Coupe as it should be enjoyed. So why am I here? I work outside and this is the best weather anywhere in the country to work outside.
LOL! That's funny.

I always use premium - but man, I'm not getting 32 MPG!! I've got a C32 AMG and I average about 20, or maybe 22 if I'm driving like a granny (which isn't too often).

I paid $1.42/gallon last time I filled up. But I guess the reasons you listed are the reasons why everyone came to Southern California and why they've stayed. It is still winter, but you'd never know it with the high 70's to low 80's weather we're having lately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons