LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 07-05-2004, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
RES

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
C230 Kompressor Oil Change

I decided to change the oil on my C230 Kompressor (6-speed manual) at 5000 miles instead of waiting for the 10,000 mile service. I used Mobil 1 EuroBlend 0W-40 (MB approved) available at Wal-Mart and Autozone. I obtained the filter at the dealer P/N 271-180-0009 for $15.75. These are still hard to find aftermarket. I used an oil extractor and was able to withdraw 4.8 quarts. The dip stick tube is located on the passenger side and is covered with a plug that is easy to remove (No dipstick). I wanted to see if I got all the oil so I also removed the drain plug (13 mm. hex head) I got an additional 0.5 qts. for a total of 5.3 quarts. In order to get at the drain plug you have to remove both belly pan panels. There are 10 hex head screws (8mm head) that have to be removed, 4 on each panel and 2 shared. I jacked up each side of the car to the point where the tires begin to leave the ground to get access to the panels and drain plug. The engine is set back far. The drain plug is located on the passenger side of the engine and is horizontal. The filter is located on the drivers side near the firewall. You need a 27mm socket, open end or box wrench to remove the oil filter cap. The carthrige filter comes with three O-rings. The copper drain washer comes seperate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-06-2004, 09:19 AM

Please remember to never go underneath a vehicle supported only by jacks! Jacks can fail causing the vehicle to suddenly crash to the ground.

Instead, lower the vehicle onto jack stands positioned underneath structural members, prior to working underneath a vehicle.

Nice description on the oil change procedure. Why not just remove the drain screw to start? Is the thought that the lower engine cover could remain in place?
post #3 of 30 Old 07-07-2004, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
RES

(Thread Starter)
You are right about the jacks. The problem is to find a good place to put the jack stands when you use the lifting pads to lift the car. I was hoping that the oil extractor would remove a larger percentage of the oil than it did.

post #4 of 30 Old 07-07-2004, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Are you sure it was inserted all the way to the bottom of the pan? Most people using extractors report getting all the oil out.

2002 C230k, 6 speed, Jaspisblau, Charcoal Leather, C4, C5, C7, Euro COMAND

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #5 of 30 Old 07-08-2004, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
RES

(Thread Starter)
As I remember the probe hit the bottom of the pan. It appears to me that there is always going to be a layer of oil left at the bottom of the pan using this method. The dipstick tube has a lot of fairly sharp bends in it. I am not sure that the extraction tube hits the bottom perpendicular. Also I tilted the (car) engine when I used the drain plug and let it drain over night. I will run the experiment again at the next oil change. I would be interested in seeing how much oil others are able to extract.
post #6 of 30 Old 07-08-2004, 08:28 AM

How would the volume of oil remaining in the pan be known unless the drain plug was removed after pumping the oil out, as RES did on his C230?

Why not just remove the drain plug to change the oil?

These extractors are frequently used in marine applications. For example, immediately below the drain plug on the 454 V8s on my boat is the prop shaft. Most people use extractors because a pan wouldn't work there. I chose to remove the drain plug and plumb an extractor system in it's place.

That solution works well, like removing the drain plug, all the old bad oil and junk comes out, as it is the lowest point of the engine sump.

Those who use the dipstick extractors know that some old oil will remain.
post #7 of 30 Old 07-25-2004, 10:01 PM

Charging oil DIY-style:Warrantees

Hi,
Does anyone know what the consequences might be for doing our own servicing in terms of a warrantee claim if the engine blows or sucks a valve or two. I admire you folks who can do your own servicing. These new electronic beasts are scarey. ??

Al

2003 C230
Desert Silver
5-speedo auto,oyster leather,Pirellis,
6-CD

48 Volt Golf Car
post #8 of 30 Old 07-25-2004, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member

You need to be able to document that the services were done at the proper times.

2002 C230k, 6 speed, Jaspisblau, Charcoal Leather, C4, C5, C7, Euro COMAND

|
|
post #9 of 30 Old 08-16-2004, 12:58 PM

oil change

Your posting indicated that there was no dipstick and also that the amount of oil taken was less than 5 qts.

You may have drained the engine oil, but the only access without dip stick is for the transmission oil.

Make sure you car is not low on both oils now.
post #10 of 30 Old 08-19-2004, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
RES

(Thread Starter)
guanabara
The newer C-class as well as others no longer have an oil dipstick. Also I have a standard shift. I am confident I drained the correct oil. The newer cars also monitor the oil level for you and warn you when you are low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons