Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

582 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  eric242340 
#1 ·
Hi. I'm new here and am needing some help with a car issue. Last year a friend gave me a 1979 Mercedes Benz 300CD series. Before that I had been without a car for 4 years so I was deliriously happy to be given a car, especially such a special one.

Recently a glow plug went out. Then another. A friend decided to change all 5 of them for me. However, every time I've tried to start the car the #5 glow plug closest to the firewall breaks off, something keeps breaking the loop off of it at the top of the glow plug. We're tried this 3 times now and each time have had the same result.

My friend thinks there is probably something bouncing around in the cylinder breaking the glow plug off every time we try to start the car. He thinks I probably need a cylinder sleeve and that this will probably require taking the engine apart.

I'd like to know if anyone can give me insight into this particular problem and a rough estimate of what it might cost to fix. This sounds like an expensive fix to me and I'd just like some insight on what I might be dealing with. I've never had a diesel car before and having one has been quite a learning experience for me. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.