Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noob

734 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Frankenschtein 
#1 ·
Hi all!
I've been looking for a W123 - specifically a 300TD - for some time. I recently found a 1984 and purchased it. My goal is to make it a high miles-per-gallon daily driver. This particular vehicle has been sitting, un-driven for about 4 years. For the 4 years prior, it was a daily driver. The exterior is in pretty good shape and the odometer reads a little over 224k miles. It hasn't run in a while, so my first step is going to be getting that old diesel to build compression and run again. My hope, after that, is to replace the differential with the 2.88 ratio (from the 1985 versions) and what I'd REALLY like to find is a five speed tranny from a Euro model 123.
Part of the reason I'm looking for a good online forum is that I want to check for experiences. Everything from dealing with the SLS to putting larger tires on it. I wouldn't mind if someone here had some parts or a transmission available.
My diesel experience is somewhat limited. Prior to the 300TD, I owned a '79 VW Rabbit diesel (loved that little car!) and a '97 Dodge Cummins. The former had to be sold when we relocated to the west coast. The latter is still running strong with about 307k miles on it.
By day I'm a registered nurse working with dual-diagnosed mentally ill adults. I've recently purchased a an older house and have begun renovations on it. So you can see I've either got a really strong work ethic or I'm a glutton for punishment. Either way, I'm not, nor have I ever been, afraid to get my hands dirty.
So that's a little about me and why I'm here. Thanks in advance for everything!

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.