LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-23-2010, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
sl550 improvements out there?

Seeking any way (not too expensive) to improve the performance of my
sl550. Especially the pitiful transmission, or should i say shifting of the transmission, like perhaps some new chip or program. Also the same for the motor. I have heard, or read, one can send their...ah...computer? or some chip under the hood to germany for a re-program. Said to squeeze out 30 or 40 more ponies from the 333 c.i. V8. With an complete exhaust system change as well. However this wont happen unless i first either talk to someone who has done so, or checked out their ride for myself. For one-- ive got to be sure i still like the sound.
But is that it? No one helping this non-performance transmission?
Perhaps its limitations are in the hardware and no new program will improve it.
Well then I'll order an MCT!-- does anyone know if it will will go in and mate?
Ok then, appreciate any feedback.
Probably anyone with a 550.

p.s. ! what is this tag thing below?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-24-2010, 04:42 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What don't you like about the transmission? I'm assuming you have the seven speed box with the paddle on the steering wheel, and not the five speed box that is fitted to the SL55AMG?

You can spend thousands tweaking and tuning to get more performance e.g. engine upgrades such as high lift cams, block boring with uprated pistons, valvegear etc., fitting a supercharger, the list can go on and on.
However if you go down that route, and I know people that have, you might just as well sell your car and buy the SL55AMG, it would be cheaper in the long run, and more reliable.

You mention performance chips, these can be a minefield if the wrong one is fitted or improperly mapped.
If you are just looking for a a general tune up, there are many companies that will re-map your existing telemetry to suit your driving style.
That said, be very careful which company you choose, many have paid a lot of money and have ended up with little or no appreciable gains (a lot of these horror stories are well documented on the internet and other fora).
#3 Old 06-26-2010, 10:32 PM

(Thread Starter)
Yes, remapping the cars telemetry sounds about right, id look into it if someone who has remapped and is satisfied with the results would respond, but i reckon i shouldnt expect so much from merely 19 thousand members.
What is wrong with the transmission?? Nothing really excect it takes forever to shift, one to another, up or down, pretty crappy for 100 thousand dollars I think.
Waiting for someone to simply reveal IF this can be changed, improved, like from 2,000 milliseconds to perhaps 200 or id settle for half a second even.

And im aware of performance shops (not sure who they are, just something i read in a mag long ago) that do something to existing hardware or computer, one sends it in, then you buy and install a more free-flowing exhaust system and air cleaner setup, bang you gain supposedly some 30 or 40 horsepower.
Love to hear from someone, ANYONE, who has done so to their 550, would like to know especially how it sounds, differently.

So there you have it. Thanks for responding. Glad someone did.

Last edited by luckywiseguy; 06-26-2010 at 10:34 PM.
#4 Old 11-06-2012, 04:49 PM

RennTECH and Kleemann can be of help but of course they cost more money than your local tuners but the research and development has been done to prove they are reliable and safe to your SL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Performance Pavilion