Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

No start-PLEASE HELP!!!

13K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  eric242340 
#1 ·
Car has no start, can jump from SAM. Once started car is limp mode. I'm using a scanner called Icarsoft mbII for diagnostic. I had a general code of P1747, but the scanning of the EGS gives me a DTC of 008. I have changed the conductor plate, connector, checked for trans leaks, cleaned the EGS and connector on both ends. I did a live data stream and found that the Y3/6s1 starter lockout contact is closed, which is located on the conductor plate. I've checked all relays and fuses pertaining to starting, still no start. I've also noticed that my gears are not showing on the dash, when I jump it from the SAM. I've even tried resetting the EGS but the code comes right back.

Is there a starter lockout relay? Should I trying resetting with a different diagnostic machine or is it something else more serious? All comments and opinions are appreciated. Thanks!!

#4 ·
Thanks for the update:)

If you can get the diagnostics read by the STAR SDS system. This will give you a very accurate assessment of what may be wrong. Any MB dealer will have STAR and many independent MB workshops also have STAR which will cost less than the dealer.
If Eric picks this up, he should be able to advise better than me ;)

#5 · (Edited)
Firstly one thing we never ever do is to jump start a Benz but you say jump start from the SAM, this worries me more. Sudden power to the SAM can destroy it. Why do you need to jump start it, bad battery?

Secondly you say the gear selection can not be viewed on the dash, this points to a confused signal between the selector mechanism and the EGS. Have you checked for transmission fluid in the EGS?

Also as @RedLiner points out a read out using SDS will put you nearer to a solution.

#6 ·
Sorry for the confusion. I'm able to start the car from the starter relay position, not jumpstarting. I've checked the EGS and there is no fluid that has wicked up there. No evidence of fluid on the trans connector either. Unable to start because live data is showing the Y3/6s1 starter lockout contact is closed and I've already changed the conductor plate. Prior to the no start the car would start and drive normal with an occasional soft limp mode and I would just shut the car off and restart and it would be back to normal. I'm thinking my diagnostic unit is not able to reset the transmission code which is enabling the start.

#7 ·
OK, I think you, seriously, need an SDS diagnostics check to find the real fault codes in order to avoid wasting more money changing parts that do not need changing. Once you have these codes serious diagnostics can begin. When you say starter relay position you do mean the key in the ignition turned to run?

#11 ·
Got ya. This gives more possibilities, 1. Electronic ignition switch, 2. gear selector lever unit, 3. EGS fault codes not cleared properly, 4. A low voltage situation but improbable, but the lock out switch situation points to 1 or 2. So all we need now is a proper fault code readout and an EGS fault codes reset using DAS and not your local equipment.

PS as an afterthought have you tried a different relay?

#12 ·
Got diagnostic done today, I got a bunch of B codes-this is crazy. B1010, B1016, 1912, P1747 , B1072 and B111a. All reset and car still won't start and continues to be in limp mode. A few of those state low or under voltage but the battery readings are fine. I honestly feel like pushing in the ocean at this point!!

#13 ·
Got diagnostic done today, I got a bunch of B codes-this is crazy. B1010, B1016, P912, P1747 , B1072 and B111a. All reset and car still won't start and continues to be in limp mode. A few of those state low or under voltage but the battery readings are fine. I honestly feel like pushing in the ocean at this point!!
Did you re-scan after the codes were cleared and the car was in LHM? Some of the codes may have been 'historic', if the car was re-scanned it would only show 'current' fault codes.

B1010 for example is linked to the SRS system
B1016 EIS: error: "no enable from electronic selector lever module".
It's most likely that your EIS isn't getting a security code signal from the shifter.
Whether that's a loose wire, corrosion, a broken EIS, or a broken GSM is up to the mechanic or you checking the connections. GSM = Gear Select Module
It's part of the security system that confirms the key codes to start the car.

This link gives more info on the P1747 code
TRANSMISSION PROBLEM 722.6 P1747 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.