Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

engine wiring harness

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  JERRU 
#1 ·
I bought a used 1995 E320 coupe, and the wiring harness is frayed. The mechanic advises to replace it before problems begin. The factory had a recall on this issue in 1995-1997, but they won't honor that recall now. I have been told that the cost to replace the wiring harness is approx $1,300.00. Anybody had a similar experience, and were you able to get the factory to help with the cost?

#2 ·
That engine harness is notorious for having issues. It is a very common failure once M104 equipped cars begin to age. I have never seen a case where MB will pay for this repair. If you have a good relationship with the service manager, there is a chance they might kick in for the repair, but I would not hold my breath. The harness is actually a pretty simple one and is not out of scope for an experienced DIYer. I like to put a new engine harness on my clients cars when doing a head gasket (as the M104 gets external leaks fairly often), as most of the labor overlaps.

#3 ·
That engine harness is notorious for having issues. It is a very common failure once M104 equipped cars begin to age. I have never seen a case where MB will pay for this repair. If you have a good relationship with the service manager, there is a chance they might kick in for the repair, but I would not hold my breath. The harness is actually a pretty simple one and is not out of scope for an experienced DIYer. I like to put a new engine harness on my clients' cars when doing a head gasket (as the M104 gets external leaks fairly often), as most of the labor overlaps. Best of luck with the repair, those coupes are great looking cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.