Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

vacuum pump/1982 300D Turbo

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  cracker928 
#1 ·
My 1982 300D Turbo suddenly lost power assist to the brakes while I was parking. When I turned the key off, the engine kept running. Also, door locks stopped working entirely (they never worked very well).

Well, I checked for obvious leaks in the vacuum lines, and found none. Then, I dismantled the main tube from the vacuum pump and started the engine. When I placed my thumb over the open line, I felt no vacuum from the pump.

Is the vacuum pump the only possible culprit at this point? Or, could there be a bad coupling or gear that drives the pump? If I must replace the pump, or a coupling to it, how difficult is this? Any pointers on doing this job?

Thanks,
15de11

#2 ·
If you are getting no vacuum from the pump, then a pump service is due. This is a fairly straightforward process that you should not be intimidated by. Alos, be aware that rebuild kits are readily available for your car and if you are mechanically inclined (sounds as though you are) it would be worth doing.

#3 ·
15de11 said:
My 1982 300D Turbo suddenly lost power assist to the brakes while I was parking. When I turned the key off, the engine kept running. Also, door locks stopped working entirely (they never worked very well)...
Are the door locks operated on the same vacuum system as the brakes, shut-off, etc. on the W123?? I believe the locks on my 1983 W126 are on a separate system, operated by and electric pump. Seems like I do recall my old 240D loosing vacuum actuation of the locks if she sat for a while.

-Scott

#4 ·
Yes, the 123 has all the vacuum accessories on the same system. I believe the 126 chassis was the first to have the separate vacuum pump for the locks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.