Sunroof sliding shade removal - Mercedes-Benz Forum
Mercedes-Benz Forum Mercedes-Benz Forum Header Right

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons

BenzForum.com is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
Airmann

Sunroof sliding shade removal

1998 C230 USA model. I need to remove the sliding shade for the sunroof to be able to re-glue the cloth. Can anybody provide instructions /procedure on how to remove this sunroof sliding shade? I need experts reply only please. thanks
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
benztech5

Vehicle: 94 E320&86 325es
You need to remove the sunroof first. Pull out the side covers, left and right of sunroof while in up position. mark the brackets on the sides, you will see torx holding the brackets in place. remove the torx, and carefully lift the sunroof out from the top of the roof. then you can slide the inside trim all the way forward and pull upward through the sun roof hole.

Tony
benztech5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
Airmann

to benztech5. side covers: are the two black rubbery material that folds when you lower the sunroof? How do you pull out without tearing them?
To start these steps the glass part of the shade have to be up?
Can you please provide more details as step by step. I have noticed that most of my headliner are disbonding around the sunroof hole from inside!
thanks
Old 09-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
benztech5

Vehicle: 94 E320&86 325es
Yes. When you lift the sunroof glass into the up position, you will see the two rubber rippley covers, one on each side. They are conected to plastic rails which snap onto a metal chanel on the sunroof glass, and to the sunroof frame. Grab them from the front corner, holding onto the plastic rail, and pull. They will snap off. Do the same on the bottum as well. When you remove them, you will see the torx screws holding the sunroof glass to the lifting arms. Make a scratch mark around the metal bracket, that is attatched to the sunroof glass, which bolts to the lift arms by the torx. This will keep your sunroof aligned when you re install the sunroof glass. Once the sunroff glass is removed you can slide the inner cover all the way forward and remove it through the sunroff opening upward towards the sky. Be careful what type of glue you use to secure the material. A very runny type will bleed through. I hope this helps. I had just moved, so I am not set up to attatch picutres yet, most everything is in storage. If you have any more questions, let me know.

Tony
benztech5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:30 AM   #5
Airmann

Tony,
I tried to start following your procedure but it seems more complicated to where to start.
I can partially see the torx heads but the rubber cover seems more complicated and the glass itself has a plastic piece wraps around it which limits any access to the rubber covers.
I try to be careful not to rip or break anything but couldn't see the start point to disassemble! Used inspection mirror to check the back side but again access is very limited. Now the headliner around the sunroof cutout starts sagging on my head and I am not very happy with MB quality or craftsmanship!!
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons