Vehicle: mercedes sl 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sl500 consumer electronics warning.

2004 sl 500. usa spec.

very irratating.

i replaced the rear consumer battery with a new one 3 months ago. i have just come back from a 2 month trip where the car was left garaged as normal with the alarm armed. it took half a day to recharge the rear battery through driving, not a battery charger. then all came on. now if i switch the car off it takes 15 mins every time to come back on! surely this is correctable? reply to mddds@swiftkenya.com cheers.

matt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1993 SL500, 1998 SL500 pano top, 2005 ML270cdi.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt wilson View Post
2004 sl 500. usa spec.

very irratating.

i replaced the rear consumer battery with a new one 3 months ago. i have just come back from a 2 month trip where the car was left garaged as normal with the alarm armed. it took half a day to recharge the rear battery through driving, not a battery charger. then all came on. now if i switch the car off it takes 15 mins every time to come back on! surely this is correctable? reply to mddds@swiftkenya.com cheers.

matt.
Matt, I have one of my R129 SL500's garaged at our UK holiday home and to prevent what happened on the last visit, I leave the battery connected to a 'smart charger'.
On the last visit, because I had disconnected the battery, the computer modules went into meltdown and I had to read and clear lots of DTC codes to get the car back to normal.

Perhaps you should get one of these 'smart chargers' for when you are away. They won't overcharge the battery and the car will start normally as if you had only driven it the day before.
post #3 of 20 Old 09-12-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
so your telling me its normal? surely not? thats a stunningly bad piece of design if it is?

what do you think it is that drains the battery?

thanks very much mate.

matt

post #4 of 20 Old 09-13-2009, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
just noticed something in your comments... mine is not a starting problem, that front batteries fine. its the rear consumer electronics battery that fades.

also, the smart chargers seem to be rated at 10-15 amps, the rear battery in the r230 sl500 is much bigger. will it still work? matt.
post #5 of 20 Old 09-13-2009, 03:36 AM
Administrator

Matt, mine wasn't a starting problem, it was just that if I leave the car for months the battery drains down overtime. I thought I was being clever by disconnected and leaving the battery fully charged. However on reconnecting and driving for a few Kms. the car would splutter and die. After restarting the ASR light would come on and the car would then go into LH mode.
I would then check the DTC codes only to find about five or six different codes.

Using a smart charger (a charger that senses the battery condition and will not overcharge it) seemed the obvious way to go.

With your R230 you have the rear battery that monitors the car's systems however after two months it is not surprising that it ran down.
My SL500s only have one battery to provide power for all of car's functions and if I left the car for more than a month or so the battery would be drained, which is why I thought I was being clever by disconnecting it.

If you are in the UK, the charger I bought was Ring smart charger from Halfords and it cost 49.
post #6 of 20 Old 09-13-2009, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
cheers, i was going to disconnect the battery to!

your mercedes loyalty is impressive but that is a poor piece of design where it virtually kills a new battery in 7 weeks. i doubt its replicated on newer models.

that looks an excellent product after reading reviews. i will get one. i will need to leave the boot open as i assume it will need mains power for a long trip away? that means the interior boot light is on and i hope no rodents get in! i have a roof but no sealed garage space currently.

i live in Rwanda, central africa. originally from south london. my dad can get the charger...

i hope you enjoy our pubs when you visit!
post #7 of 20 Old 09-13-2009, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt wilson View Post
cheers, i was going to disconnect the battery to!

your mercedes loyalty is impressive but that is a poor piece of design where it virtually kills a new battery in 7 weeks. i doubt its replicated on newer models.

that looks an excellent product after reading reviews. i will get one. i will need to leave the boot open as i assume it will need mains power for a long trip away? that means the interior boot light is on and i hope no rodents get in! i have a roof but no sealed garage space currently.

i live in Rwanda, central africa. originally from south london. my dad can get the charger...

i hope you enjoy our pubs when you visit!
My battery is also located in the boot but I just close it over the thin cable, the rubber seals cushion it.

The real ale is the only thing I enjoy about the UK apart from seeing family and friends.
The one advantage of a keeping a foreign registered car there is that speed cameras probably have my middle finger on file awaiting identity
post #8 of 20 Old 09-14-2009, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
my parents have a couple of holiday homes near Alacante, nice spanish villages. they enjoy very much and would move from croydon if it were not for the grand kids..

are you originally from uk and what are you up to there?

I have a large format (billboards) printing business here, used to live in Kenya. Left Uk in 1990 for 2 years in malta first.

Matt.
post #9 of 20 Old 09-14-2009, 02:40 AM
Administrator

Matt, PM sent to save boring the pants off of the other members
post #10 of 20 Old 12-02-2009, 06:20 AM

Vehicle: 2000 SL500 Black Diamond Designo 1987 Porsche 944 NA
These cars are very well designed....One of the best in the world...The issue lies in the fact that they are also rolling computers! Any surge up or down can cause dilema. A .75 amp trickle charger by "BATTERY TENDER" has solved the issue for me. I live in Upstate New York USA and we get 6 months of winter weather here so my SL500 spends as much time in cold storage as it does on the road. And Redliner is correct in that these chargers monitor battery and only feed when demand is recognized. I turn off the boot light by the switch inside the rear panel behind the license plate, and let it rest on the charger cord without allowing the latch to catch. I havn't had a problem in three years now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > SL/SLK/SLR/SLS Class