LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-03-2011, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Vehicle: 2004 MB SL500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question SL 500 trickle charge?

new owner of a 2004 SL500, which will not be driven regularly .. would appreciate some guidance on using a trickle charger to keep the batteries charged .. do the batteries need to be individually charged, or is it possible to charge them both at the same time with one charger? best connections? many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-04-2011, 03:42 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1993 SL500, 1998 SL500 pano top, 2005 ML270cdi.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I leave my '93 SL500 in the UK where we only visit every three to four months.
After suffering a flat battery I bought a 12volt smart battery charger that cannot overcharge the battery, but keeps the computers ticking over,and the battery in tip-top shape.

With the R230 you could use a 12volt smart charger, by charging both batteries in parallel, or a 24volt smart charger with the batteries in series.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-24-2011, 12:48 PM

Vehicle: 03 SL500, 84 380SL, 08 Lexus LS460
Trickle Charger

On another forum I learned about the Ctek Charger.....www.ctek.com

I called thier toll free number and bought the charger they suggested.....I am away for the winter, and my information is in another place or I would give you all of the particulars.....

At any rate, I connected the charger to the battery in the trunk October 8, 2009and returned and disconnnected on May 4, 2010......started without any hesitation.

It has been hooked up since October 15, 2010...... will return in May and see if the same situation exists.....so far so good....

Hope this helps.....

Mort

post #4 of 8 Old 04-27-2011, 01:12 PM

Vehicle: 03 SL500 97 E320
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thumbs up Trikle Charger and seat module

I wrote MBUSA and they sent me a free trickle charger because they knew there is a defect in the 2003 & 2004s. This only after having both batteries changed twice in 3 months. Finally they realized that its the seat modules that don't shut off and drain the batteries. There was a services bulletin and its seems most dealers missed it. Once both modules were changed the battery only runs down a little if car in not driven for many months. This changed fixed years of headaches with "Electronic Consumers offline." The charger does work great if it hasn't been driven. I was told to just charge it up overnight and that has been fine. I don't leave it on. It plugs into the trunk.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
I wrote MBUSA and they sent me a free trickle charger because they knew there is a defect in the 2003 & 2004s. This only after having both batteries changed twice in 3 months. Finally they realized that its the seat modules that don't shut off and drain the batteries. There was a services bulletin and its seems most dealers missed it. Once both modules were changed the battery only runs down a little if car in not driven for many months. This changed fixed years of headaches with "Electronic Consumers offline." The charger does work great if it hasn't been driven. I was told to just charge it up overnight and that has been fine. I don't leave it on. It plugs into the trunk.
You are very lucky to get MBUSA to admit to a defect, and doubly lucky to get a free battery charger.

Very well done, tenacity and perseverance has paid off
post #6 of 8 Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLiner View Post
I leave my '93 SL500 in the UK where we only visit every three to four months.
After suffering a flat battery I bought a 12volt smart battery charger that cannot overcharge the battery, but keeps the computers ticking over,and the battery in tip-top shape.

With the R230 you could use a 12volt smart charger, by charging both batteries in parallel, or a 24volt smart charger with the batteries in series.
I have one on my 87 500SL, it's an ACCU-MATE CONDITIONING CHARGER. These can be left on all the time. Brill
post #7 of 8 Old 06-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOBARROWS View Post
I have one on my 87 500SL, it's an ACCU-MATE CONDITIONING CHARGER. These can be left on all the time. Brill
Mine's a Ring smart charger. I've just bought another of the same for my SL500 here in Spain.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-12-2017, 11:41 AM

Cool Trickle Charger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Hi Jonesy

I wonder if you remember the Service Bulletin Number?
What address did you use to write your letter?
I would like to do exactly what you did to see if I'm successful.
Thank you much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > SL/SLK/SLR/SLS Class