Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Do it yourself brake job

9K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  jimbosidecar 
#1 ·
My rotors are worn to the point that the dealer (MB) wont turn them, after only 28k miles. No unusual marks in the rotor smooth surface just worn out. The dealer told me that the wear was not unusual for mercedes vehicles. I have never had this early wear from any other new vehicle I have owned. I am just going to replace the pads all the way around, Any tips?

#4 ·
premature wear on MB rotors

I too would be interested in knowing how difficult it is to replace disk pads on a C230 couple. My trusted mechanic just told me the front rotors on my 2002 C230 couple (~31K miles) were worn down too far to turn. Now the cost of a front brake job will be $350. I've replaced my own pads before on my previous cars and don’t particularly like the idea of buying new rotors every time I replace the pads.

#9 ·
C230 brake change

I too would be interested in knowing how difficult it is to replace disk pads on a C230 couple. My trusted mechanic just told me the front rotors on my 2002 C230 couple (~31K miles) were worn down too far to turn. Now the cost of a front brake job will be $350. I've replaced my own pads before on my previous cars and don’t particularly like the idea of buying new rotors every time I replace the pads.
I just replaced all 4 brakes on my 2001 C230. Very simple job, took less than an hour. I bought the pads from Rock Auto. Set of sockets and a screwdriver (flat) is all the tools you'll need. Once you remove the safety spring that holds in the pads they slide right out without removing the caliper. Slide the new pads in and connect the sensing wire and you're good to go. If you get stuck there is a video on Google.

#6 ·
Are Brake job instructions missing from this site?

The regular MB rotors are not extremely expensive but the MB E55 AMG ones are I think btw $220 and $320 each. and mine at 67K are well past needing replacement . Should have been replaced at 50K miles and I bought the vehicle with 45K on it so, I'm not sure if those were the original ones. I'm installing some Duralast rotors I bought at Auto Zone for $56 each. I'm new at using such forums as this one, so, my first impression might be wrong but, it seems this web site should have easier to find instructions for doing your own work on brakes but, unfortunately the questions I found from people about about doing their own work on brakes didn't seem to get answered with any instructions / help so, perhaps this site is sponsored / managed by MB dealers / MB shops who prefer owners bring a car in for service. Given the high cost of parts and frequent maintenance and things not lasting like worn rotots, $600 mirrors that delaminate after 6 yrs and dashes that crack after a few years, a MB does seem to be a high maintenance cost vehicle in comparison to several Japan and American cars I've owned.

#7 ·
I'm a new MB owner (2005 C230K and 2006 C230). So far, it looks like I've been lucky and I don't have a problem with my disks - yet. This all sounds pretty sub-optimal!
Is there an after market replacement disk that would be better? What about pads? Any advice there?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.