Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

E300 2.8L Stalls after starting

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  jhodg5ck 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a '93 E300 2.8L with 200K that sat for about a year. I tried starting it but it stalls within a few seconds.

If I keep the foot on the gas, the engine will rev up but I can tell that one of the cylinders is missing and I can hear some misfiring emanating from the engine compartment.

The car was towed to the nearest mechanic who tells me that the engine is no good and that cylinder No#2 has something like 40psi compression.

I see no oil in the coolant expansion tank and could not smell gas on the engne oil. From the short time that it was running, I saw no indication that it was burning either anti-freeze or oil.

What else should I look at to confirm the claim that the engine is no good?

I'd hate to give up on it and find it driving around...

Your input is greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would head over and ask him to show you the cylinder w/ poor compression...If it does indeed have 40psi that would likely point to catastrophic failure.. that said, it's rather rare in this engine. After sitting for so long it's Possible that some rings are sticking giving LC.

the fact it's So hard starting makes me believe that it may indeed have jumped time, bending a valve --> LC in one cylinder.

Jonathan

#4 ·
ah, ok...I thought it was being Difficult to get running..

if she fires up and is only missing on One cylinder I'd inspect a bit further before I wrote her off!

Jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.