Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

300E LPG Turbo Project

39K views 59 replies 3 participants last post by  likeaboss 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

This thread will be dedicated to my project long in the waiting. Alot of research. Alot of new ground work. A few performance forums attributed to get this far. An excellent workshop found also. Big thanks to Roman (Pumpish) who is nothing short of an inspiration with 300E's & their terribly under-rated performance potentials.

To begin with. Bought this 300E in January of this year from a disillusioned seller who had a pathetic workshop build the car. The poor workmanship & little knowledge put into the build led to the destruction of the performance built engine along with, most of the running gear including turbo. So. Most of the running gear needs to be replaced from scratch.

Hope this thread will be informative & maybe stir a little discussion for those interested in stretching the boundaries a bit 8:)

Purchased items & work to be done & recently commenced:

Running Gear
Low km M103 3.0L in VG cond' left stock 9.2:1 comp (aid in spool time)
GT3540R .84 A/R billet comp wheel; ceramic bearings (all lowering spool time)
Microtech MT8 timing only ECU
3" turbo back mandrel exhaust
Larger FMIC & fabricated mandrel aluminium piping to suit
Custom Inlet inc 3" bell end runners & Boxy Plenum
Custom Steampipe Exhaust Manifold with 45mm external wastegate
Reco'd 400 Mixer (older style is better) & Twin Vapour/Convertors & larger lines to suit
Rebuilt Trans with shift kit & 2300rpm stall convertor
New engine Mounts
New Trans Mount
New Behl Radiator & all hoses
New Front Flex Plate......will add later any other gear I've forgotten

Boost will begin @ 10psi, then 12, then hopefully 14

Will be installing LPG primer sensor & oil filter between engine & turbo

Looking realistically @ between 260-290rwkw depending on boost I run?

Decided to raise the boost in increments when we, eventually do get to tune car Initially do a run @ 10psi using a 45mm external wastegate then @ 15psi @ see how she fairs & what hp we can achieve @ this boost. As I've said before, hp will be down due to small turbine housing but the trade off is quicker low down response so I can live with that

Also the larger comp wheel ensure large volume of airflow & counter the back pressure anyway. All in the set up @ this stage.

Also @ this stage I think I'll call it a day @ 15psi for reliability purposes more than anything. The LPG will work in my advantage in this area with it's higher octane ability however, this hp will be a big enough shock I think for the stock car including running gear, brakes, suspension per se.

The MT8 has to be made up especially & will be a few weeks wait bugger it. Hopefully there is enough to be done in the meantime with fabrication anyway?

May try 20psi but only once I see how car handles the bolt-ons first?

Below are some pics of the car when I brought her home in January. It was running LPG set up with only 1 convertor. Running a Garrett T03 highflowed to T04 specs. Pretty stock exhaust manifold I think off a diesel? Not sure now. Exhaust was anywhere from 2/14"-3" ike a dogs breakfast. All looked good but it was destined to blow up.......it did! :roll:

See less See more
#53 ·
OK. Just completed payment transaction for Bilsteins from US, $723AUS. AUS$ sux @ moment. So, now all the important suspension stuff is sorted!

Hopefully the IC will be here soon so I can @ least attempt the fitment for now. Obviously can't do pipework until exhaust parts are delivered.......

#54 · (Edited)
Happy now :cool:

Just returned from an aluminium welder I found just a tad over 10mins away from me. Top bloke who's modest & does good work for simple hrly rate. No bullsh1t!

I dropped off the IC for him to reposition the tank end pipes. He is also keen to do the IC piping once I get all the gear from OS to fit. He's keen to work with me bits & pieces @ a time.

Can do all types of welding & really proud of his work!

Feel better about my mission now :cool:

#55 · (Edited)
Just in process of sourcing certain parts OS....ie: tie rod link/ends; front ball joints; rear subrame mounts; diff mount/bushings; trans cooler; turbo cooling/oil lines, banjos etc, strut mounts, boots & bump stops, swaybar bushes (these are pretty straight forward though)

Couldn't wait the 3 month backorder from here for H&R sports lowered coil springs as this would set me back too much time & I'd basically have nothing to do til' I get turbo gear from Scandinavia (root that!) So, managed to source them from US for only $50 more than if I waited. These will be freighted via USPS priority mail (believe me you pay for this but far less chance of it getting lost in a slow-haul freight service & I need to get started with this car as I hope to get it @ least drivable by mid May next year ). Incidentally, US supplier I managed to find was only $50 cheaper than other suppliers so, another win

As it now stands, awaiting the following:

a) turbo header, detachable 3" dump pipe & external WG pipe, WG, BOV, cam
& crank trigger wheels & adapter plates to suit, VEMS ECU, wiring
harness to suit & all sensors etc coming from Estonia (across ocean from
Sweden )
b) IC refurbish from here
c) H&R coil springs from US
d) Bilstein struts from US
e) S500 150A alternator from US
f) Poly bushes from UK......so.....waiting

#56 ·
um..................liquid injection is only $500 more than vapour. I was given bullsh1t information from a-hole here where I live & also from another. Been like this for years too btw.....how do these nobs stay in business :confused:

Anyway, confirmed it all with installer who uses LPG warehouse gear (JTG installs), the "ants pants" of LPI :cool: "untuned" can expect about 15wkw more power than with petrol / "tuned" up to 30 :eek: economy near that of fuel & capable of higher CR's than fuel too :cool::cool::cool:

Fark there's alot to learn/know.......when I explained I am running aftermarket ECU & trigger wheels etc, he then confirmed it can be run via direct LPI, not duel-fuel bullsh1t!

Not much booking time necessary either! Only a week or two! I thought it would be months, so this is one huge plus.......

Again, until I get the turbo header & gear from OS, I can't do alot of the technical stuff. But when suspension & front-end gear turn up, @ least I can do the undercarriage.

#57 · (Edited)
Here's just a little something different to wet the appetite of performance folk, helping to explain what I'm really about 8:).........

QUOTE from a recent article:

......Whereas traditional vapour LPG systems turn liquefied gas into vapour form before feeding it into the engine via a venturi in the throttle body, the liquid phase injection (LPI) system takes the gas in liquid state all the way to the injectors -- a more precise method that Ford says delivers improved engine performance.......

#58 ·
sheesh! Tryin to stay up with this LPI stuff.......

The JTG system uses it's own injectors that come with the kits. This means I don't have to fork out for LS2 COP injectors or even run EFI @ all, due to dedicated LPI set up. Just wish I didn't need to use the pidly donut where my spare should be but apparently this has the necessary pump needed.

Anyway, spoke guy in charge this morn & he's keen to have the car as soon as I get it all together, up to fitting the VEMS ECU & harness, then shop takes over. Cart comes home on all fours :cool:

Found OEM suppliers in UK & US for all the tidly OEM suspension parts like, ball joints, idler arm bushings, Strut boots & bump stops, boot rubber, draglink & tie rod assemblies, expansion tank cap, thermostat & other tid bits......all the pita stuff including the rear flex plate (driveshaft donut) for 1/3rd cost it is here &....heavily discounted expedited freight on most so hopefully gets here round same time as the springs. Bilsteins arrived yesterday ;)

#59 ·
Well. All parts I ordered were delivered pre-Chrissie.

Poly LCA bushes
H&R sports springs & coil hats
Bilstein Sports; bump stops; boots; & strut mounts
Centre bearing
Torsion bar bushes
Idler arm bush kit
drag link; tie rod assemblies
ball joints
rear flex plate
non A/C serp belt
thermostat
reservoir cap
wiper blade
150A alternator

Very cool! Only hickup was one idiot supplier who didn't send 1 ball joint in order then, sends a used one as a replacement :eek:

I will take pics of all goodies later today.

Also, scored an S320 M104 fuel rail from US for a bargain :cool: It will come post new year.

Next, I just need the modded intercooler again, post new year now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.