LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 08-29-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Vehicle: 06 C230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
05/06(?) C230 throwing P0694 and replacement fan puzzle

First off, the model year confusion, car was delivered from Germany in June 2005 but bills itself as an 06 I think?

Anyhow, this car threw P0694 Cooling Fan 2 Relay Control Circuit High yesterday and was shut down before it got very hot. When I got home I observed the code and also that the fan wasn't coming on even though the engine was well warmed up (gauge was slightly above midway). From what I could see online the most likely culprit was the controller built onto the fan assembly so I went down to the pick-n-pull and got one off another 06.

Here's the weird thing: the fan I pulled from my daughter's car doesn't have any controller on it. Also, while the cable connector is the same the one on our car is routed diagonally downward while the one I brought home today points straight upward. This means that even if I wanted to use the replacement fan I'm not sure the cable could reach.

Where should I be looking for this fault, and how did I wind up with the wrong fan?

(PS: tried posting this in DIY but the post disappeared in moderation. Apologies if it turns into a double-post)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fans-small.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	9351  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-29-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Vehicle: 06 C230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Well that was interesting. I put the original fan back in and it spins but only if the AC is on. Which is better than not working at all but still weird and winter is coming so running with the AC will not be preferred.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons > C Class