• 1 Post By eric242340

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-15-2016, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2008 CL550 left rear reverse light + vacuum assist

I have a 2008 CL550 (C216?) w/ 40k on the odo. #1 . The vacuum assist used in closing the drivers door (left door) doesn't work most of the time. I'll assuming that regularly shutting it 'firmly' will probably break something else. Any thoughts? Is this pertain to something in the door or the $1,500 pump hiding in the trunk? #2 . The left rear back up light does not come on and two things happen: 1. it activates the warning lights on the dash. 2. the back up camera/screen goes from picture to black after about 5 seconds. Replacing the left rear light assembly didn't change anything, in fact, on testing the original bulb, it's still fine. The local dealer grimaced and said "we'll simply have to trace all the wires back... " which, at their rate could boil down to the cost of a new car! Any clues on that one? Thanking you in advance, Peter ([email protected])
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-16-2016, 03:52 AM
R.I.P Always Remembered

Vehicle: Zotye 1.5T 2016 model
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Sadly this does look like a wiring problem and is a monumental task to test and check all the wiring. It will need many hours of testing to find the faulty wire.

ERIC
post #3 of 8 Old 02-16-2016, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric242340 View Post
Sadly this does look like a wiring problem and is a monumental task to test and check all the wiring. It will need many hours of testing to find the faulty wire.
Eric, many thanks for the opinion! What surprises me in this day and age of hi-tech is that simply plugging it into their diagnostic system wasn't among the menu of choices. Another tech shrugged his shoulders and said "its simply about finding the right relay that's gone bad." For sure! And how long does he expect that will take. I was hoping to hear from others on this site who may have had the same problem which would of course move things right to go. But so far, no hits on either of my issues. But thanks again, Peter

post #4 of 8 Old 02-17-2016, 01:32 AM
R.I.P Always Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
Eric, many thanks for the opinion! What surprises me in this day and age of hi-tech is that simply plugging it into their diagnostic system wasn't among the menu of choices. Another tech shrugged his shoulders and said "its simply about finding the right relay that's gone bad." For sure! And how long does he expect that will take. I was hoping to hear from others on this site who may have had the same problem which would of course move things right to go. But so far, no hits on either of my issues. But thanks again, Peter
When he connected the test equipment did he check out the rear SAM? both your faulty items operate via the rear SAM. There are tests available on the Xentry test equipment for this unit.

ERIC
post #5 of 8 Old 03-26-2016, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
When he connected the test equipment did he check out the rear SAM? both your faulty items operate via the rear SAM. There are tests available on the Xentry test equipment for this unit.
Eric, I've yet to leave the CL550 for servicing either at the dealer or any of the other shops I've taken it to, albeit the last one is coming away the clear leader in all of this because they honed right in on the door and the reverse light problem, suggesting that the latter probably had something to do w/ the Sam units you mention.

And you're the first to mention it. The dealer said that plugging it in would do nothing and that it'd be a laborious wire by wire process! Talk about killing the deal! So I washed the Benz on the last unseasonably warm day in late December then put it away for 3 months. I took it out this past Thursday only because it was due for inspection... which it passed.

That done, when I have time I'll relinquish it to this shop that suggested the Sam unit was probably bad; let them check the door and the transmission as I've heard rumors about some freaky scenario that occurs around 40,000 miles... which is where mine sits.

Other than that, I might just sell it... looks perfect in and out; maybe time to say good -bye to my Benz experience. Happy Easter & thanks again!
post #6 of 8 Old 03-26-2016, 12:08 PM
R.I.P Always Remembered

Selling it may be the wrong thing to do, better the devil you know eh? All luxury cars have problems just like other cars but the repairs are more expensive. There is no such thing as a cheap Benz. Think about it. And at 40k miles they need to flush the transmission and change the filter.
PeterB likes this.

ERIC

Last edited by eric242340; 03-26-2016 at 12:12 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-26-2016, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Selling it may be the wrong thing to do, better the devil you know eh? All luxury cars have problems just like other cars but the repairs are more expensive. There is no such thing as a cheap Benz. Think about it. And at 40k miles they need to flush the transmission and change the filter.

Ha-ha-ha... I like the way you think... and while I absolutely appreciate that luxo mobiles are going to be more expensive to repair, I like to think in terms of break jobs, starters etc., vs. the apparent never ending odds and ends that this rascal keeps throwing at me. I mean, for all the disparaging remarks hurled at Italian cars, our 1987 Alfa Spider w/ about 145,000 on the odo has cost less over it's lifespan than the Benz... by about half! The Maxima's were bullet proof as have the 4Runners... the Morgan left on a trailer I'm not sure how the Benz is going to leave but you can talk me into keeping it... when it works it's great! Say, what's w/ the rumor about the tranny blowing at 40,000 miles? Any thoughts on that and/or other imminent honey-doos that should go on the "while you have it" list? Many thanks my friend! Peter ps. Happy Easter!
post #8 of 8 Old 03-26-2016, 12:23 PM
R.I.P Always Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
Ha-ha-ha... I like the way you think... and while I absolutely appreciate that luxo mobiles are going to be more expensive to repair, I like to think in terms of break jobs, starters etc., vs. the apparent never ending odds and ends that this rascal keeps throwing at me. I mean, for all the disparaging remarks hurled at Italian cars, our 1987 Alfa Spider w/ about 145,000 on the odo has cost less over it's lifespan than the Benz... by about half! The Maxima's were bullet proof as have the 4Runners... the Morgan left on a trailer I'm not sure how the Benz is going to leave but you can talk me into keeping it... when it works it's great! Say, what's w/ the rumor about the tranny blowing at 40,000 miles? Any thoughts on that and/or other imminent honey-doos that should go on the "while you have it" list? Many thanks my friend! Peter ps. Happy Easter!
The 40 -42K miles mark is important with the type of transmission you have, change the fluid and filter and protect yourself from further bills if not changed. Oh and I am not religious but happy Easter if you are.

ERIC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > CLK/CLS/CL Class