Headlight - Mercedes-Benz Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 12-31-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Headlight

I replaced my headlight on the left side with all new ballasts and the light failed to function properly. I assumed the mods were defective so had mb replace them and the same thing happened with the new one.

Now for the dumbest question of 2017, do these things need to be programmed?? Omg if thats the case this has cost me over 2 weeks of frustration????

A330pylt
A330PYLT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 12-31-2017, 06:28 PM
Administrator
 
RedLiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 1993 SL500, 1998 SL500 pano top, 2005 ML270cdi.
Location: Spain and Gibraltar
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
If a MB dealer did the work then surely you could ask why the light wasn't working???

No trees were harmed creating this message, however some electrons were very inconvenienced.
RedLiner is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 12-31-2017, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLiner View Post
If a MB dealer did the work then surely you could ask why the light wasn't working???
I guess I should have been more clear in that. I purchased the parts from MB and installed them.

A330PYLT
A330PYLT is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 Old 01-01-2018, 06:45 AM
R.I.P Always Remembered
 
eric242340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Vehicle: Zotye 1.5T 2016 model
Location: Sichuan province China
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A330PYLT View Post
I guess I should have been more clear in that. I purchased the parts from MB and installed them.

A330PYLT
They do not need programming so you have a wiring or a computer problem, time to have the fault codes read out either at the dealer or an indie. Can you explain your statement that it failed? In which way did it fail?

ERIC
eric242340 is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 01-01-2018, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric242340 View Post
They do not need programming so you have a wiring or a computer problem, time to have the fault codes read out either at the dealer or an indie. Can you explain your statement that it failed? In which way did it fail?
Happy new year Eric.

Now lets take this a step further. The light comes on but the projectors dont move and the turn signal does not work. I removed the ballasts from the right light and put them on the left side and it works fine. I replaced the ballasts with new ones from MB dealership and still does not work. There are no codes so ECU is fine and the wiring is fine if the ballast from the right side head light make it work. This is why I asked if they need to be programmed. I read somewhere that these light may need codes or something to that effect.

A330PYLT
A330PYLT is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 01-01-2018, 07:43 AM
R.I.P Always Remembered
 
eric242340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Vehicle: Zotye 1.5T 2016 model
Location: Sichuan province China
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A330PYLT View Post
Happy new year Eric.

Now lets take this a step further. The light comes on but the projectors dont move and the turn signal does not work. I removed the ballasts from the right light and put them on the left side and it works fine. I replaced the ballasts with new ones from MB dealership and still does not work. There are no codes so ECU is fine and the wiring is fine if the ballast from the right side head light make it work. This is why I asked if they need to be programmed. I read somewhere that these light may need codes or something to that effect.

A330PYLT
Now this is a different ball game, if the projectors do not work then you do need the use of Diagnostic equipment to find and solve the problem, it is not a DIY thing. When you say no codes, what test equipment did you use to check? Simple ODII equipment will not help with lighting module problems.

And happy new year to you too.

ERIC
eric242340 is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 01-01-2018, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric242340 View Post
Now this is a different ball game, if the projectors do not work then you do need the use of Diagnostic equipment to find and solve the problem, it is not a DIY thing. When you say no codes, what test equipment did you use to check? Simple ODII equipment will not help with lighting module problems.

And happy new year to you too.
When I say no codes I mean its not showing that i need to check anything. I am just going to take it in and have MB deal with it now. I hate that because I am certain that they will have to pull my bumper cover off and I just had all that painted and can feel the ding or scratch coming. If its not programming its a ballast issue and maybe I got a bum ballast from dealer.

A330PYLT
A330PYLT is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 01-01-2018, 08:27 AM
R.I.P Always Remembered
 
eric242340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Vehicle: Zotye 1.5T 2016 model
Location: Sichuan province China
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A330PYLT View Post
When I say no codes I mean its not showing that i need to check anything. I am just going to take it in and have MB deal with it now. I hate that because I am certain that they will have to pull my bumper cover off and I just had all that painted and can feel the ding or scratch coming. If its not programming its a ballast issue and maybe I got a bum ballast from dealer.

A330PYLT
OK please post back after the repair to let members know how you got on.

ERIC
eric242340 is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 01-13-2018, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric242340 View Post
OK please post back after the repair to let members know how you got on.
Ok so took it in and it had some codes Aux battery replacement took care of a lot BUT there was a code for Front SAM. Now upon further review they think the SAM is ok but a or some fried fuses in the Prefuse box. Now he sent signal to the lights with his equipment and its not saying anything is wrong with the lights. Now other random shit is happening like my trunk was closing with the push of a button not it wont. My rear window shade was working now its not. AN only my Left head lamp works but not the right OTHER than the day run light strip. If I turn my light switch to the far left which I believe is the off position the right left tail light will stay on if I turn it up on notch then the right one will come on and the left goes out. Electrical non sense like this is annoying as hell.

A330PYLT
A330PYLT is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 01-14-2018, 02:58 AM
R.I.P Always Remembered
 
eric242340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Vehicle: Zotye 1.5T 2016 model
Location: Sichuan province China
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
It is showing all the signs of a faulty SAM.

ERIC
eric242340 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > CLK/CLS/CL Class


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Headlight Replacement danconrad DIY/Tech Help 1 02-13-2014 09:14 AM
Damaged Headlight Ghostdoggy Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons 2 02-07-2010 12:42 PM
Headlight Washers Gene Moses Mercedes-Benz Sedans/Wagons 1 04-16-2006 12:02 PM
Headlight upgrade JJBenz1 Performance Pavilion 2 07-22-2004 03:37 PM
headlight question m32073609 DIY/Tech Help 0 11-27-2003 04:52 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome