99 E300 Turbo Diesel won't start - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-12-2005, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
99 E300 Turbo Diesel won't start

Hoping someone can help me. Our 99 E300 TD will not start. The glow plug light comes on as usual, but when I crank it, it will almost catch several times, but does not start. We took it to a mechanic a couple of months ago for the same problem, and he changed the glow plugs. Now the problem is back, and the car will not start, again. Any thoughts or hints would be greatly appreciated. I have done quite a bit of work on gasoline engines, but I must admit I am pretty ignorant when it comes to diesels. I was hoping this would be a car that would not need any work and would last a long time, but right now my wife (her car) is none too happy. As an aside, I have always been told not to use any starter fluid in a dieses, but I read in another post of someone doing it. What is the rule on that?

Thanks for any help.

Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-12-2005, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
follow up

I could not stand it and had to fiddle with it. I started by hooking a hair dryer to blow in the air intake, on the theory that if it was the glow plug screwing up, it may help. As I said, I know little about diesels, so don't laugh if it was a stupid idea. In any case, it did not help. While I was cranking it I noticed that the gas gauge was near the E mark, not unusual as my wife does not fill up until the warning light (I don't have the courage to call it an idiot light) comes on. For lack of other ideas, I went and got 5 gallons of diesel and filled the tank. It may be coincidence, but after about five cranks, she started up. If the problem returns, I hope someone can give me ideas, but for now I will hope the solution was that simple.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-12-2005, 04:36 PM

First, welcome to the BenzForum community and to diesel ownership. I am a diesel fan and you will find several fellow diesel owners on the forum. Perhaps, since you were able to get the car to start after adding fuel the problem was simply that the fuel level was just to low. The key things to needed to start a diesel are:
  • Good strong battery that will turn the engine over quickly
    Good glow plugs
    Good fuel filters
    Good fuel
If all of the above are present and you do not have a major problem with the engine (i.e., low compression) then the engine should start. In cold weather it may be desirable to use some fuel additive like RedLine and/or a block heater. In Louisiana the weather should not be a problem.

post #4 of 8 Old 02-13-2005, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Went to try it this morning . It started, but seemed a little reluctant to do so. When we had this problem a couple of months ago, the mechanic changed the glow plugs. Now that the problem may be back, any suggestions? Would an additive or injector cleaner be of help, and if so which one?

thanks

Pat
post #5 of 8 Old 02-13-2005, 12:49 PM

My suggestion is that if it was ran low of fuel, then you might need to bleed the fuel system of air. I'm sure that your diesel has a pump line and nozzle system, I don't think any of them used unit injectors. Don't just let the mechanic change the plugs and let that be the end of it. If anything I would say change the fuel filter if it hasnt been done recently and run some bio diesel through it, it's a little more expensive but if cleans and lubes your nozzles pretty good and should burn better too. Also just make sure you don't let it get run low of fuel, once air gets into your fuel system it can be a pain to get it started. Hope that helps.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-13-2005, 12:54 PM

Oh and don't use starting fluid/ether !!!
If you have glow plugs/intake heater it can blow your intake manifold off! not to mention clean the oil off your cylinder walls and basically cause your engine to run dry at first.

and the blowdrier thing isn't that bad of an idea, diesel's need air to be about 70-80 degrees to obtain the correct temp in the combustion chamber. If not the fuel won't ignite and it will be hard to start.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-14-2005, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
New update

This morning before going to work, I tried to start it, and it cranked right up. About an hour later, got a call from my unhappy wife, it had not started for her and she had to drive my little girl to school in our old Chevy dually. I told her to keep trying to start it every half hour, and around noon, it finally came to life. It is now at the mechanic's, and I will let you know to what he figures out.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-28-2005, 08:38 PM

I think the 96-99 Diesels self bleed the fuel system so no special venting is necessary. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Bob 98 E300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel Discussion