diesel wagons - new - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-20-2005, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
diesel wagons - new

going to test driven (and likely buy) a 2005 VW Passat TDI wagon today with the 2.0 litre, 134hp engine. have heard its a great engine. if can bring ourselves to spend twice the money we may do the v10 Tourag TDI instead

I am extremely dissapointed that MB has not decided to produce the diesel hybrid Vision Grand Tourer wagon they showed earlier this year and last year at the shows. it looks like an incredible car, one that i'd be willing to actually shell out 50k+ for, but alas i won't ever buy a gas version of it (or at least not until E85 ethanol is available at least one pump here in the PNW, and that's assuming MB makes it flex-fuel ready.)

what's MB's hold up on the wagon's?

I've written them and told them they are forcing me into the arms of vw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-20-2005, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
well the v10 Taurag, in yet another frustrating for U.S. buyers move, is no longer available at all in the U.S. according to the dealer here. this leaves pickups and the vw's for new diesels.

so we bought an 05 Passat TDI today for the wife today. great car, all in all - but i'd so much rather have bought that vision grand tourer diesel hybrid from MB in the fall.

BTW - we pulled in the VW lot in our MB 300D. of course immediately the various lot personnel came over to comment on what a great car it is!

maybe 2007 will be the year for new diesel models to coincide with the requirement for ULSD - maybe california will change their regulations then and it will inspire MB to start bringing in advanced diesels again. the E320 is too expensive to only get a sedan from it, got to have an suv or a wagon for the family
post #3 of 7 Old 06-21-2005, 08:29 AM

diesel in USA

I really dont know what the problem is with the auto manufactures, every single auto manufacturer that sells cars here and overseas almost every model in thier lineup is availible with a diesel engine, this includes Ford and GM. but they refuse to import them.. and most times you cannot even special order it.

if you live in the US and want to buy a new diesel car you have basically two choices, VW and a $50K Mercedes. otherwise you are stuck in a large truck or van, although the dodge/mercedes sprinter looks cool.

what do we have to do to get the car makers to import diesel vehicles ??

Jason Fraley
Tampa FL

1976 Mercedes Benz 300D
1987 Mercedes Benz 300TD sedan
1984 Mercedes Benz SL300D turbodiesel
2001 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Dually Cummins Diesel
1974 30\' Uniflite \"Salty Dog\" sportfisherman powered by (2) 617 951 MB turbodiesels

post #4 of 7 Old 06-21-2005, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to cracker928
Fortunately, I am not yet wealthy enough to worry about the new market offerings but I would like to dream a little. I think if I had the cash, I would just go overseas and do a grey-market import. I would think this to be easy with a mercedes diesel.

They have all sorts of wonderful offerings coming out over there, including a CLK cabrio with a CDi400 engine. Near perfection as far as I am concerned....

\'87 Mer-B 300D (220,000 miles) (sold)
\'93 Mer-B 300D (173,000 miles) (sold)
\'87 Porsche 928 (101,000 miles)
\'98 Dodge Ram quad-cab (250,000 miles)
\'2001 CLK430 Cabrio (50,000 miles)

Past cars: 1969 mercedes 250, 1981 300D, 1972 220D
post #5 of 7 Old 06-21-2005, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
importing

importing makes already expensive cars extremely expensive - plus exchange rate slide of the dollar plus time waiting plus time invested (i have newborns at home) --- its just a hassle.

to spend that kind of dough - i'll wait for the diesel hybrid's to arrive and then pay the top $ to get truly the future of diesel technology. nothing beats electric motor delivered right at the wheels for torque and advanced traction control etc.

the future is diesel electric plug-in hybrids that will get 500+ miles to the gallon when used for standard suburbs to the city driving and still run on totally renewable biodiesel that supports local farmers.

in the meantime - i fall more in love with the 1980 300D every day and the more i learn about these old mercedes the more saddened i am that my 87' 300TD was totalled
post #6 of 7 Old 07-06-2005, 08:01 PM

Why should US retailers market diesels when they can sell every diesel they can produce in europe? Imagine the impact it would make if every vehicle made got 50% better fuel economy. Tell the middle east to shove it!! The US is short sighted in almost every thing we do. Just got back from a Canadian trip where gas was about $3.20 US/Gallon while in NY it was $2.45/gallon. Saw a lot more diesels in Canada even with prices narrowing. Sorry for the rant- drove a new E class diesel last year and Oh what a car!- if I hit the lottery I'm getting one (although someone told me I have to buy a ticket to do so, which greatly decreases my odds). The new Passat should be sweet- just wish it had a chain instead of timing belt. We have a Jetta TDI in addition to E300TD so love diesels- just not loving the price of diesel fuel at the movement- what is going on?

Bob
post #7 of 7 Old 07-06-2005, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
if you are asking why diesel is no longer much cheaper than gasoline at the pump, the reason is clean air standards have gone up and the quantity of sweet (ie low sulphur) crude oil has gone down in tandem. higher sulphur heavy crude is more expensive to refine.

the passat tdi wagon is a great vehicle. i would venture to say that is now the best diesel available for anyone with a family since the v10 taurag is no longer being sold in the U.S. new according to my dealer.

the only thing we have found to be aggravating and chincy on the passat is that the even with the full leather and heated seats package you cannot get electric seats with the tdi here in the us. this is ridiculous - but given the state of things here, its a small price to pay for a truly outstanding wagon. it would also be nice if the passat had a 7th seat in the cargo area like the MB300TD.

if you want this fantastic vehicle new, you better hurry in and get one, our dealer had very few, and a dwindling limited supply as they are no longer being imported (what's here in inventory is all there is). there is currently a 2006 model in gas but presently no new tdi engine announced yet for the 2006 model. the dealer told me that it would therefore be minimum of the fall of 2006 before a diesel passat comes to the U.S. wow that sucks because this is a great car. I bet it will drive more sales of the Jeep Liberty diesel for Chrysler if VW really does fall off the cliff as it appears they are so far with the passat tdi. used passat wagons with 2.0 litre tdi engine are fetching a pretty amazing premium right now. not quite what used prius hybrids are doing in premium but still hefty.

we were fortunate to get one of the only white tdi wagons available - the color my wife wanted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel Discussion