Biodiesel/veggie oil users check in! - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 Old 09-07-2005, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Conversion indeed not necessary

What I mean by conversion is: adding a separate tank to hold the veggie oil, because it's difficult getting an engine started with cold, viscous vegetable oil

Normal, refined, Biodiesel, is basically like normal diesel fuel: thin. First you warm your engine up on normal biodiesel, which you keep in your primary tank. THen, a few minutes before you reach destination, you can switch back over to "ergular biodiesel" to flush out the vegetable oil before turning your engine off. That way your engine won't be cranking against thick goo the next time you start it up. You can run veggie straight through the original tank, especially if it's warm climate. But not all us got that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 09-13-2005, 09:50 AM

Vehicle: 1983 300D (312,000+ miles)
I recently read on a website (fattywagons.com), suggesting certain Mercedes (1997 - 1985) autos can run SVO/WVO WITHOUT any modifications, as long as it's in a warm climate. I have an '82 240D, so obviously I'm curious. Can anyone confirm this claim?

The problem for me is, where I live there is no source for biodiesel. I'd like to manufacture my own, but to be honest...I'm not very mechanically inclined. I have trouble justifying the cost of a biodiesel kit without knowing, for sure, I have the ability to process the stuff.

Thanks everyone!!

Ken
Dothan, AL
post #23 of 27 Old 11-01-2005, 10:20 AM

just an update to the forum.. I have been running WVO mixed with diesel in my 76 300d NA
for about three years now, I have not blended past about 40% VO and 60% diesel.
I did run for a few months on 100% WVO with a two tank system (starting on dieesl and when veg hot enough switch over) but I removed the system to redesign it.

Currently I am experimenting with pushing up the percentage of WVO and evaluating cold starting and performance conditions. I am also going to frequently pull the injectors to check for coking or unburned oil buildups. I live in FLA where there is debate if one can use WVO without heating it in this "tropical" climate. I am doing these tests as we get into the "cold" part of the year ("cold" for us is 50 deg F)

The current batch in my tank is 80% WVO and this morning it was about 70 deg F. Startup was perfectly normal. The plan is to run this setup until the tank is empty and go to 85% WVO and test there.

I am also running experiments on my other car 210 E300D chassis diesel and a freind who owns a 123 chassis 300 TD and a 126 chassis 300 TD.
Here is the current data:

Chassis mix
115 80%
123 60%
126 0% (waiting for empty tank)
210 15%

I will update as new data becomes avalible

-J

Jason Fraley
Tampa FL

1976 Mercedes Benz 300D
1987 Mercedes Benz 300TD sedan
1984 Mercedes Benz SL300D turbodiesel
2001 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Dually Cummins Diesel
1974 30\' Uniflite \"Salty Dog\" sportfisherman powered by (2) 617 951 MB turbodiesels

post #24 of 27 Old 11-04-2005, 07:43 AM

new data

new data on running WVO "single-tank" without a preheater

115 car (300D non-turbo OM 617.91x) 95% WVO 65 Deg F
starts fine and runs a tiny bit rough
for the first 30 seconds, after which runs perfectly..
significant dark/light grey smoke ( this is the cold oil not combusting completly)..

210 car (E300 non-turbo OM 606.912) 70% WVO 65 Deg F
starting requires a bit more cranking then normal, and minor missing
for the first 10 seconds. runs a bit rough at idle and low power levels.
when under power (driving) runs just fine.
Very significant dark/light grey smoke

123 car (300D turbo OM 617.952) 50% WVO 62 Deg F
starts normally runs normally
significant dark/light grey smoke

I still have no data on the 124 car (87 300TD OM 603.960)

in all cases, when vehicle is completly up to operating temperature, smoke is reduced to
normal diesel smoke levels.

As a note, I would not reccomend runningany diesel on WVO without both pre-heating oil for WVO startups and continuious heating of oil before injection. The experiments I am performing are to get an idea of the effect of differing mixture ratios and how they affect a subset of the range of MB diesel engines

Jason Fraley
Tampa FL

1976 Mercedes Benz 300D
1987 Mercedes Benz 300TD sedan
1984 Mercedes Benz SL300D turbodiesel
2001 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Dually Cummins Diesel
1974 30\' Uniflite \"Salty Dog\" sportfisherman powered by (2) 617 951 MB turbodiesels
post #25 of 27 Old 12-17-2005, 08:11 AM

Elsbett and bioD

Has anybody tried the Elsbett single tank wvo system? I am willing to make my own bioD, but am having trouble buying large quantities of methanol- 20 gal or more- I live within baltimore city limits. Any ideas?
post #26 of 27 Old 09-08-2006, 03:21 PM

I have a '79 300D and plan on going WVO in the next few weeks. The kit I plan to buy comes with everything except an inline heat exchanger (just before the injectors). I live in Arkansas and the winter temps rarely reach the teens, and twenties aren't very common. Should I add an in-line exchanger? I've also seen electric heaters that attach to the injectors, is this a viable way to go?[/i]
post #27 of 27 Old 09-11-2006, 07:02 AM

veg kit accessories

I decided not to use the Elsbett system. I thought it was over-engineering a 27 year-old engine. I went with a removable system that could be changed to another car if the need arrises. I added a vegtherm to my system because I have a short drive to work and wanted to be able to switch over to veg oil as I am backing out of my driveway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel Discussion