LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 01-05-2008, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
81 240D electrical problem

Okay, I can't figure this one out.

I have an 81 240D with about 150,000 miles on it. A few weeks ago my left front turn signal stopped working, and the light on the dash blinks twice as fast as it should. The right blinker works fine. I replace the bulb and it works, but when I turn the headlights on it stays on and does not blink.

I lived with this problem for a while, but recently my battery has been draining when I drive at night with my lights on. I replaced the starter, battery and checked all the fuses. About two months ago I installed a CD player and hooked up it up to the headlight switch for power. I have since unhooked it, but should I have not done this? Also my fog lights do not work at all, and I can't seem to figure this out.

Just a comment about this car: I paid 1600 bucks for it and drove it 40 miles back and forth to work in LA for two years, and loaded it full of my stuff and moved to Kansas City where I drive it almost every day. All I have replaced were the rear axles. This has been the best investment for a vehicle, and I hope this little electrical problem can be resolved. I have one of those portable jumper batteries that I use every morning after driving at night. Please Help.

I have yet to take this car to the mechanic due to this site. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-14-2008, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Some new information:

It was warm for about a week, and my car started every morning even after doing quite a bit of night driving and w/ the wipers on. Since it has been cold, My battery won't crank in the morning. I bought a portable jump starter, and that has been a quick fix to keep moving.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-21-2008, 10:50 PM

I reckon you already checked all the connections (cables) from battery leads so the likely problem might be a bad park switch that keeps your starter from cranking. I would also suspect a bad starter solenoid. Since your battery is new it is just baffling that your lights are going out. As with your headlights, it should be the first thing to go when you have a weak battery as it draws the biggest load from a vehicle's electrical system. With regards to the fog lights, inspect your light bulb sockets if you have power and then check your grounds and see if there is power going through. Also inspect the housing that the bulb goes in as the terminal inside its housing can sometimes stick and not touch the bulb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel Discussion