LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 09-20-2009, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Vehicle: 1995 E300D W124.131 606.910
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
'95 E300D fuel plumbing

I have a 95 E300D. My driveway slopes, which has been irrelevant until recently. When left parked facing uphill overnight, the car won't start (plenty of crank, but no fire). If I let the car roll to the flat street, it will start, but it takes awhile. If left facing downhill or on a flat surface, no worries.

I'm guessing that air is getting into the fuel lines, creating a gap that takes awhile to overcome. A lot of the fuel plumbing is hidden under the intake, so I haven't started tearing things apart to see. I thought I'd check the assembled wisdom to see if this is common, and if there is a recommended approach to fix. Some of the visible plumbing appears to be fairly thin plastic. It seems to me that if this si the case, that there may be an opportunity to replace some lines with something more robust.

I also have to confess that I'd be happier if the fuel pump could overcome this issue on a slope as well as on the flat. What are the odds that this is more about pumping uphill than leaky lines?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 09-21-2009, 06:51 AM

Vehicle: '87 300TD 24v & '90 300D 2.5t
Hi Tom, this is clearly fuel related, and I've heard of this particular issue before with the OM606 engines. I believe this is associated with leaking o-rings at your fuel junctions on the pump and filter. The leaks allow air into the pump reservoir, which the mechanical pump then must try to displace even as new air enters. The o-rings are cheap and easy to replace, but unfortunately I think you need to remove the intake manifold in order to gain access. While you're in there, make sure the delivery valve seals on the top of the pump aren't also leaking. A little trickier to replace, but not difficult with the proper tool (617 589 01 09 00).

I've often thought about installing a little manually switched electric fuel pump in line with the main fuel supply, 'cause it usually takes a while for the engine to catch after fuel filter changes...not unlike what you're experiencing with your fuel "bleed-off" on slopes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 Old 09-21-2009, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks!

Thanks, Zeitgeist! I've been saving additional action for a time when I have the whole weekend to take the manifold off, figure out what I'm doing, and put it back together. Since the car is new to me, I expect delays while I learn my way around the engine.

Thanks!
Tom

post #4 of 31 Old 09-21-2009, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Follow-up question:
Since 617 589 01 09 00 is a $55 tool, what are the odds that I will need to address the delivery valve seals while monkeying with the O-rings? I'd rather not take the car out of commission for a week waiting for the tool, nor do I want to spend the money on a tool that will not be used.

I seem to have a dilemma.
post #5 of 31 Old 09-21-2009, 01:48 PM

Unless you see fuel weeping on the top of the injection pump, you can probably get by without doing the delivery valve seals...for now, but they will eventually need attention. They all do. That tool can be located for cheaper as a knock-off, but I can't remember who sells them. I think I paid something like $30. Since you're already getting into the fuel system, you might as well replace the primary and secondary fuel filters while you're at it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 31 Old 09-22-2009, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I sure appreciate the help!

Tom
post #7 of 31 Old 09-24-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
And a plea for a bit more clarification

Zeitgeist:

I sure appreciate the information you have given. I've been pondering my parts list. I'm thinking I may go ahead and do the delivery valve seals while I'm in there (if I can find a cheap enough splined socket). Maybe plumbing with some fresh Viton lines would be good where lines are stiff or cracking.

I don't want to lose sight of your original suggestion with regard to O-rings. I was looking at www.mercedescomplete.com. New main fuel filter looks to come with a couple of new O-rings. Pre-filter O-rings are separate. Apart from the O-rings on the valves, I see two O-rings and another seal on the injection pump:
- injection pump to crankcase O-ring
- vacuum stop box O-ring
- injection pump to block seal

Was your original suggestion to replace both of those IP O-rings, the two with the fuel filter, the one on the prefilter, and evaluate the delivery valve seals?

Thanks for your patience and help!
Tom
post #8 of 31 Old 09-24-2009, 10:03 PM

Hi Tom, I'm suggesting that you replace all the o-rings you can while you've got the intake manifold off of there. If the top of the pump is dry, you can leave the delivery valves alone, but just be aware that they too will eventually fail.

I would strongly urge you to use viton for the fuel return lines that are a part of the injector and fuel filter circuit, if you're going to run any serious percentage of biodiesel.

post #9 of 31 Old 09-24-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks!

The diagrams are a huge help!

Tom
post #10 of 31 Old 09-27-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Next steps

I have not yet yanked the intake manifold to see what is really going on, but I've decided to go whole hog in following Zeitgeist's advice to replace any o-ring I can get at. In case anyone is following at home, and needs to cover similar territory, I'm finding parts info all over the place.

One poster found that Viton o-rings for the connections of the hard plastic fuel lines are available at McMaster. P/N 9464K44. In his case, the lines were OK, but the connections leaked.

Another poster was prepping for biodiesel use. He replaced the hard plastic lines with SAE J30R9 from an auto parts store. The injector return lines he replaced with 6 feet of Viton line, also from McMasters, P/N 5119K791 .

I found fuel filter, pre filter and pre filter o-ring at Redline.

My local MB dealer apparently can't figure out what is in the delivery valves in the injector pump, so I'm still looking for the delivery valve seals and crush washers. On the plus side, I think I found the splined socket for the delivery valves for about $32 at Impex. The price looks weird on the web at the moment, but I have an email indicating that it will be changed this week.

I think there are a couple other o-rings on the injector pump. I'm optimistic that my local dealer will have them. And I know I can find a torque wrench.

Good luck! And let me know if anyone has a source for the injector pump delivery valve seals and washers for a '95 E300D (OM606.910)

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel Discussion