LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 06-29-2011, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Vehicle: 05 E320cdi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Is ALDA valve adjustable on 91 300d?

I have a 91 300d with I think over 500k miles on it and it seems to be running rich(lots of black unburnt fuel smoke) even under partial throttle loads.
I think older ALDA's have adjusting screws on the top of them which allowed Easy adjustment. Is this possible or how would you adjust fuel mixture.
I'm assuming it's not a lack of boost issue to the ALDA otherwise it would be a lean condition if I understand correctly how it works.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-04-2011, 10:29 AM

Vehicle: Mercedes 300SDL
Have you checked other stuff? Chain stretch may be an issue with 500k miles. Have the injectors ever been replaced? They don't last forever. Air filter?
You might need to adjust alda but I believe thay made it harder than on the earlier models.
post #3 of 20 Old 07-04-2011, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldom View Post
Have you checked other stuff? Chain stretch may be an issue with 500k miles. Have the injectors ever been replaced? They don't last forever. Air filter?
You might need to adjust alda but I believe thay made it harder than on the earlier models.
Thx,

Yes checked chain stretch and have it within spec. I have not done anything with the injectors, but have no idea what maint history the PO did I've owned it for the last 5 years and 40k miles. Guess it couldn't hurt to have them serviced, anyone have luck with that?
All filter changed regularly.

post #4 of 20 Old 07-04-2011, 07:14 PM

I changed out all injectors onmy SDL two years ago at around 360k miles. Result has been a quieter engine, smoother engine and while I did not have a huge smoke plume exhaust, that too was reduced.

I have owned at least one MB diesel for the past 23 years, and adjusting the ALDA had never been an issue. Just have never needed or thought to do it.

What I have found is that these engines do much better when driven "like you stole it" at least on a regular basis. Puttering around town can lead to your condition.

Mobil 1 synthetic is also very theraputic. I change about every 8 to 10k miles

Have you used Lube Moly Diesel Purge? It could be a step before you elect to change out the injectors. Does an outstanding job.

One other thing to have checked is your turbo waste gate function. As these age, they can weaken, which effectively reduces the boost provided to the intake.

Sorry to ramble, but, I am just reticent to mess with the ALDA

Tom Scott
Richmond, Virginia
1987 300SDL 404k
1993 300D 306k
post #5 of 20 Old 07-08-2011, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I changed out all injectors onmy SDL two years ago at around 360k miles. Result has been a quieter engine, smoother engine and while I did not have a huge smoke plume exhaust, that too was reduced.

I have owned at least one MB diesel for the past 23 years, and adjusting the ALDA had never been an issue. Just have never needed or thought to do it.

What I have found is that these engines do much better when driven "like you stole it" at least on a regular basis. Puttering around town can lead to your condition.

Mobil 1 synthetic is also very theraputic. I change about every 8 to 10k miles

Have you used Lube Moly Diesel Purge? It could be a step before you elect to change out the injectors. Does an outstanding job.

One other thing to have checked is your turbo waste gate function. As these age, they can weaken, which effectively reduces the boost provided to the intake.

Sorry to ramble, but, I am just reticent to mess with the ALDA

Tom Scott
Richmond, Virginia
1987 300SDL 404k
1993 300D 306k

Thx Tom,
Makes sense. I'll look at injector service locally.
I do run the piss out of it on occasion like everything I own so that not an issue.
I do run Mobil 1 with similar intervals.
Have no idea what "Lube Moly Diesel Purge" is!

Waste gate/boost seem to be w/in limits.

DD
post #6 of 20 Old 07-13-2011, 12:45 PM

Vehicle: e300d 2.5 TD 1991
What does it take to verify waste/gate limits? If I get down on it moves good..a light pedal and it move MUCH slower
post #7 of 20 Old 07-13-2011, 01:03 PM

Another easy fix, often overlooked, is that of replacing vacuum line (rubber) and cleaning orifice at intake manifold as well as the one connector that is itself an orifice.

This one connector is colored differently that the "off orange / yellow" of the others. On the five cyl OM0602 it seems to be located between the intake orifice and the alda coonection.

Clean out these areas internally with brake cleaner (the intake maniflod orifice comes out with a 10mm deep socket) , make sure that all other rubber hose connections within the vacuum system, including the ones under the air cleaner housing, are sound. Just because a hose appears to be in one piece does not mean that it will hold a vacuum. If you do not have a mityvac, get one.

And then be surprised at the additional torque and power this engine will deliver.
post #8 of 20 Old 07-13-2011, 01:23 PM

Vehicle: e300d 2.5 TD 1991
Good information Thanks so much..Is there a model number on the mityvac I need? There are a ton on there web site. Looks like one id for bleeding brakes, another to check radiator pressure and still another to check hoses like you mentioned and engine compression.
Thanks
post #9 of 20 Old 07-13-2011, 01:33 PM

Don't recall. the base unit is the same. I think the differences are in the attachments. As I recall I got the base unit with a bunch of attachments for around $30 bucks. four or so years ago. Have never used most of the atachments, especially the brake fluid extraction thing.
post #10 of 20 Old 07-14-2011, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
This one connector is colored differently that the "off orange / yellow" of the others. On the five cyl OM0602 it seems to be located between the intake orifice and the alda coonection.
I don't see a different color connector on mine.
Is ALDA valve adjustable on 91 300d?-mb-300d.jpg

I've bypassed the Over-Boost sensor as it was bad and causing loss of boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel Discussion