post #1 of 5 Old 06-02-2015, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Vehicle: 2005 E320 Cdi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
05 E320 Cdi annoying idle vibration

Hi Folks,

I'm the 'new' owner of a 2005 E320 cdi with only 81k on the clock, the car had some things wrong with it when I bought it and I've been going through and fixing them, so far I've done:

air filter
oil and oil filter change
diff oil change
new engine mounts
new transmission mount
new thermostat

The problem I'm having right now is the engine has a bad vibration at idle, in drive, park or neutral it makes no difference, it has all new mounts so I don't think its that. I took it to the local mercedes benz dealership here (before I did the transmission mount) and they told me it was the trans mount that was shot and was causing it.
However after putting a new mount on the vibration is still there.

It also has quite a big kick, when I switch the engine off.

I did some googling and the best explanation is either the alternator pulley is bad (it has some kind of damper or clutch in it?) or one of the fuel injectors is bad and at idle is injecting just the wrong amount of fuel, causing the vibration.
It does need a new serpentine belt, so I'll get that done and check the alternator pulley when I change it.

Can anyone help? If I knew the benz dealer could fix it I would take it back, but they seemed more interested in billing me for other things and washing my car than actually fixing the thing I brought it in for.

Thanks

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-03-2015, 05:47 AM
R.I.P Always Remembered

Vehicle: Zotye 1.5T 2016 model
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Well the basics and normal culprits have been covered so I would guess it is time to have the fuel injectors tested.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...sXHG3AYyWBfS6g

ERIC
post #3 of 5 Old 09-15-2015, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart_dood View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm the 'new' owner of a 2005 E320 cdi with only 81k on the clock, the car had some things wrong with it when I bought it and I've been going through and fixing them, so far I've done:

air filter
oil and oil filter change
diff oil change
new engine mounts
new transmission mount
new thermostat

The problem I'm having right now is the engine has a bad vibration at idle, in drive, park or neutral it makes no difference, it has all new mounts so I don't think its that. I took it to the local mercedes benz dealership here (before I did the transmission mount) and they told me it was the trans mount that was shot and was causing it.
However after putting a new mount on the vibration is still there.

It also has quite a big kick, when I switch the engine off.

I did some googling and the best explanation is either the alternator pulley is bad (it has some kind of damper or clutch in it?) or one of the fuel injectors is bad and at idle is injecting just the wrong amount of fuel, causing the vibration.
It does need a new serpentine belt, so I'll get that done and check the alternator pulley when I change it.

Can anyone help? If I knew the benz dealer could fix it I would take it back, but they seemed more interested in billing me for other things and washing my car than actually fixing the thing I brought it in for.

Thanks

Chris
post interesting. i like it

post #4 of 5 Old 07-04-2019, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chris: at 81 Kmi the car should be almost new and should not have needed eng/tranny mounts unless tampered with by an inexperienced mech - or I strongly recommend you locate a qualified dealership where they might find the fuel pump to be out-of-spec - a.k.a. a timing problem. This engine runs extremely smooth. Shut-off, likewise, is smooth/uneventful.

The CDI 648.961 engine is equipped with a sensitive diesel emissions system located on firewall. To safeguard it is imperative that you use Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 05-W40 MB-Approval (updated March 2017) 229.52. Repeat: Key words are ESP and 229.52!!
post #5 of 5 Old 07-05-2019, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1999 ML430, 2000 ML320, 2005 E500 4matic wagon
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I also agree it is probably a fuel delivery issue. Injector delivery rates can easily be checked. If they get too far out of whack the idle can get lumpy and MPGs can suffer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel Discussion