post #1 of 10 Old 09-17-2017, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
M D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
06 CDI loss of Power

Hey guys -
Got an issue with my 06 320 CDI. She has 260k miles. One day she was fine, the next morning I have a loss of power and a CEL. She runs ok but no boost when you hit the pedal.

Codes are:
P0243 - Turbo wastegate malfunction
P2009 - fuel water content sensor.(fuel filter)
P0489 - Exhaust gas recirculation control short to earth
P0102A - Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input
The descriptions are what I got off the web but I'm not 100% sure for my car.

I doubt they are all the root cause so looking for real guidance. The only true symptom is the loss of power when accelerating.

I pulled the Air intake assembly off and inspected the MAF and Turbo for any loose wiring or connectors but don't see any. I cranked it up and had my son hit the accelerator but I cannot see the turbo linkage move (I think it would have moved in the time I tried it)

Thanks for the advise in advance!
Mark

Last edited by M D; 09-17-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-18-2017, 05:57 AM
R.I.P Always Remembered

Vehicle: Zotye 1.5T 2016 model
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
The only fault code I see on the list that would cause loss of power is the one associated to the MAF.

ERIC
post #3 of 10 Old 09-18-2017, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
M D

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Eric. A thought that went through my head early this morning is whether a blown fuse might be impacting all these faults. I haven't had time to research yet. If not a fuse, how would the MAF preventing the turbo from opening? I also have a Coolant level alarm on the dash but the coolant level seems fine. So that's another thing that made me think that maybe a Fuse might be impacting several circuits.

Last edited by M D; 09-18-2017 at 06:14 AM.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-19-2017, 04:13 AM
R.I.P Always Remembered

A problem with the MAF would cause loss of power but it is not in any way connected with the turbo wastegate problem.

After you have checked all the fuses delete all fault codes - road test car and check for fault codes again to see which problem shows up again.

ERIC
post #5 of 10 Old 09-20-2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
M D

(Thread Starter)
Guys, posted this a few days ago but got little help.

Since then, I've done more trouble shooting and made some progress. I put a new MAF on even though that was not the issue. I found Fuse 44 blown, replace it and it blew again. It appears this is for the turbo actuator, among others. Replaced the fuse and took the linkage off the turbo actuator to see whether the Turbo was locked up or whether the actuator was. Both are moving ok. I put the linkage back on and when I start the engine, the actuator pulls the lever down for a few seconds and then pushes it all the way up. I took it on a test drive and I still don't have the thrust I used to have when you hit the gas. No Codes showing in the test drive. That test was only about 5 miles. Fuse 44 and the associated actuator was definitely part of the problem but she's still not working right. What else can be going on that it causing me to get no boost when I hit the gas?

Thanks!
Mark
post #6 of 10 Old 09-21-2017, 05:18 AM
R.I.P Always Remembered

Disconnect the wastegate and road test the car with it still disconnected.

ERIC
post #7 of 10 Old 09-21-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
M D

(Thread Starter)
Eric - did what you suggested and don't see any real difference. After disconnecting it, I put the turbo lever in the down position and tried it. Then I pulled it up and tried it. No diff either way. I will say that the lever appeared to fall down while I was testing. I did get a P2015 after removing the linkage but after moving the turbo lever, it went away.

Thinking out loud here:
- How can I tell whether the Turbo is working or not? The lever on it is so easy to move it seems like its nor really moving anything inside.
- When I hit the pedal, the tranny doesn't kick down. I think it's suppose to. Is there a switch I should check?
- I've read the a bad EGR can cause some of this. I can see that but it seems like with F44 being blown and no kickdown, it seems like its more about the turbo. I'm just thinking out loud.

If I knew exactly what is suppose to occur in what order, that would help.

Thanks again!
post #8 of 10 Old 09-21-2017, 10:37 AM
R.I.P Always Remembered

It does seem to me that your turbo is not working at all. But as to why .....................?

ERIC
post #9 of 10 Old 09-21-2017, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
M D

(Thread Starter)
Eric -
Some have suggested that the EGR could be the issue. I just removed the EGR. It's pretty dry with not much smoot on it for 260k miles. I ran the engine and revved it up but the EGR doesn't move. I'm not sure whether or not it would under the circumstances. I did notice that when reeving, the Turbo arm was moving up and down with the revving. Still don't know if the Turbo is actually working but the arm was moving.
- Is there a way I can check whether the EGR needs replacing?
- How can we tell whether the TUrbo is actually doing what its' intended to?

Mark
post #10 of 10 Old 09-22-2017, 06:46 AM
R.I.P Always Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by M D View Post
Eric -
Some have suggested that the EGR could be the issue. I just removed the EGR. It's pretty dry with not much smoot on it for 260k miles. I ran the engine and revved it up but the EGR doesn't move. I'm not sure whether or not it would under the circumstances. I did notice that when reeving, the Turbo arm was moving up and down with the revving. Still don't know if the Turbo is actually working but the arm was moving.
- Is there a way I can check whether the EGR needs replacing?
- How can we tell whether the TUrbo is actually doing what its' intended to?

Mark
The kick down switch is part of the accellerator pedel but lets try to fix the engine power problem first.

The EGR cannot be tested, it is a clean it or replace it job. EGR valves do tend to carbon up and become blocked so a good clean usually does the trick there.

Not being a Diesel Tech I need a picture of your turbo unit and it's connections and then I may be able to tell you how to test to see if it is working.

ERIC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel Discussion