1987 300sdl runs out of fuel - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 11-06-2017, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1987 300sdl runs out of fuel

Ok. Got a good one here. First of all I have been an MB Tech for years. Now Retired. I have a 87 300 sdl 128,000 that I have had for 18 years. It runs out of fuel. I currently have the pre filter mounted on the winshield so i can monitor it.
I have deleted the filter screen in the tank, have a new main and pre filter and have run a subsitute fuel feed line from the tank outlet to the pre filter. Just installed new bosch fuel pump. No noticeable fuel leaks and great flow from the tank connection. I have deleted the fuel heater thermostat (all this for diagnostic purpose) I changed the o rings and crush washers in the injection pump 3 years and 10,000 miles ago. This problem just suddenly started.
The car will sit there and run fine, revs fine, drives fine for about 5 miles then the prefilter gets low on fuel and the engine runs out of fuel ( main filter gets empty also) I can just hold it in the start position and after about 30 seconds the pre filter starts to fill up again the engine starts and runs fine for another couple of miles as soon as the prefilter gets low on fuel (you can see it suddenly go dry) it dies of course. Also just sitting in the driveway idling it will do the same thing after about 8 minutes. About 30 seconds of cranking and the filter fills up again and Im off for another mile or two. Im about ready to run it in the ocean.
Anybody have any diagnostic ideas for me ? Could fuel return have anything to do with it ? anybody deleted the fuel return ?

Last edited by mbeuro1!; 11-06-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-06-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I have also removed the vacuum line and monitered the shut off valve on the injection pump
post #3 of 4 Old 11-08-2017, 06:55 AM
R.I.P Always Remembered

Vehicle: Zotye 1.5T 2016 model
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeuro1! View Post
I have also removed the vacuum line and monitered the shut off valve on the injection pump
Sounds like the tank is not breathing, try driving it with the fuel cap off.

ERIC

post #4 of 4 Old 11-09-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So I found the problem. Veg oil was run in this car some time ago. I was draining the tank and the first 5 gallons drained in about 6 minutes. The next 15 gallons took about 2 hours. (remember I said I deleted the tank screen). I had to cut a hole in the top of the tank big enough to get my arm in and it looked like cardboard floating around in there . That was what was clogging the outlet. Got her all cleaned out and welded back shut. Car back to running perfect now.
The main thing that Im dissapointed in is the response from other forum members. Pretty much zero.
This forum sucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel Discussion