LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 12-31-2003, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Considering Buying 240D. Please advice.

Hi all,

This seems to be a pretty informative forum. I have done a search on 240d and have read all the related threads already. However, I am at the juncture of making a decision.

Owning a MBZ has always been my dream. Last night I test drove 2 MBZs. The "1983 240D" and a 300TD, both automatic. The asking price on the cars are $3600 and $4200 respectively.

I was pretty disappointed with the 240D to start off. However I learned to drive it by forcing it to downshift. The cars condition is impeccable and it has 240,000 miles.

The 300TD was much better on the performance front. However it had more rust and looked older.

Does the price sound right ?
Will I be able to take the 240D on a skii trip ?

BTW my other car is a 2002 WRX Stage 2, putting down 285 hp. So the difference feels like night and day.

thanks in advance.

flyingace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-03-2004, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Bump. Please reply. I might lose the opportunity to buy these cars.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-03-2004, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to cracker928
Flyingace,

Sorry for the lack of response on my part at least, since car purchase advice is hard to give without seeing the cars in question. Also, they are both good cars in their own right.

Since you really are asking for some input, here is my .02:

If you don't mind slower and fuel mileage is imprtant to you, the 240 is probably the better choice. Though most that I have seen (if not all) have been equipped with the manual tranny (is this an auto conversion?), the shifting into 1st issue can be improved upon with a couple of easy adjustments. The fact that it is in good condition is a plus, but you may want to examine the service history for any injection pump, timimg chain, and water pump work. Not that these are weak points of the car, but 240K miles is high and the first two items can be very expensive to fix. The simplicity of the engine is also a plus.

My choice of the two models would be the 300TD. I like the wagons, but the hydraulic suspension can be pricey, though simple and reliable. Any recent repairs to the rear suspension would be a bonus as a minor headache avoided. I doubt I have to explain the tradeoff of performance and economy, but the turbos still do pretty well on mileage (don't ask me for numbers right now).

The cars you are looking at are both the 123 chassis/body and I had an '81 300D (123 chassis) when I went to college in Pennsylvania. I can't say that I remember ever having a problem handling the snow in that car but I can imagine that a 240D in the mountains might be an excercise in patience. There are 240D owners on this list who may disagree.

As for the prices, I guess that may be a regional issue. Where are you? I am in southern California and I think that a very good condition 83 300TD could be found locally (L.A) for the price mentioned. Of course being able to do much of the work myself, I tend to overlook many "issues" that a day of wrenching can fix....

\'87 Mer-B 300D (220,000 miles) (sold)
\'93 Mer-B 300D (173,000 miles) (sold)
\'87 Porsche 928 (101,000 miles)
\'98 Dodge Ram quad-cab (250,000 miles)
\'2001 CLK430 Cabrio (50,000 miles)

Past cars: 1969 mercedes 250, 1981 300D, 1972 220D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel Discussion