3.0L turbo diesel - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-09-2004, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
3.0L turbo diesel

I am considering marinizing a couple engines out of 123 chassis cars (300d turbo diesel)
question is, how much power do you think I could extract from these engines each?
going to a slightly larger turbo and larger fuel injectors?
would 150HP be unreasonable ? possibly any higher? (with obvious reduced life) in the marine environment, it would be constant load, but not maximum RPM. Probably 75% power when cruising.

I have a supplier for a water-cooled exaust manifold, and my machine shop buddy can make a bellhousing adapter, does anyone have any thoughts on this marine application for a MB engine ? it would be a twin engine application.

Jason Fraley
Tampa FL

1976 Mercedes Benz 300D
1987 Mercedes Benz 300TD sedan
1984 Mercedes Benz SL300D turbodiesel
2001 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Dually Cummins Diesel
1974 30\' Uniflite \"Salty Dog\" sportfisherman powered by (2) 617 951 MB turbodiesels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-14-2004, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
durability

so I have done a vast amount of research and reading this weekend. and from what I understand to extract additional power from a diesel in general theory, an example turbocharged four stroke mechanical direct injection diesel engine, it seems quite simple.. fuel makes horsepower.. however you need air for the fuel so more air and more fuel = more power. So lower the compression ratio a bit, add more fuel by increasing fuel pressure and/or increasing fuel injector flow, increase boost pressure or go to a larger turbo, tune the injection timing just right, reduce exhaust backpressure, insulate the turbo and exaust manifold for thermal efficency, large/efficent aftercooler, port/polish the head, possibly open up the intake manifold to also increase airflow along with a bigger air filter and carefully monitor EGT, boost, and fuel pressure. Now doing all of that I think could get me 200 HP easily starting with a 120 to 140 HP engine. my question is about reliability. I mean the MB 3.0 5cyl is known everywhere to be very quite "bulletproof" in its stock form when it comes to reliability. so that begs the question.. how long would I expect to get 200 HP from this engine? Not very long ? or who knows ? If one started with a fresh rebuild and very precise "racing quality" machine shop work I think it can be done. Cummins gets 175 to 275 HP out of thier 3.9 liter four cylinder engine and mercuiser gets 165 to 200 HP from thier 2.8 liter four. Of course these are purpose built marine units, but its not rocket science! its diesel science!

has anyone done any performance mods to thier diesel ?

any thoughts ?

Jason Fraley
Tampa FL

1976 Mercedes Benz 300D
1974 30\' Uniflite \"Salty Dog\" sportfisherman powered by (2) 617 951 MB turbodiesels
post #3 of 5 Old 06-16-2004, 09:12 PM

jfraley:

Your problems are going to be related to the increased heating of the engine components. The different coefficients of linear expansion have been accounted for in the current design. Opening those gaps more for the higher operating temperatures wil likely result in an engine you can not get started.

A larger turbo will not help you. The current turbo is capable of delivering more boost than design. A simple wastegate adjustment will take advantage of the higher boost, but will also run up the temps.

Bottom line, I would not do it.

-Scott with his $0.02

post #4 of 5 Old 06-16-2004, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
the added boost will be in concert with added fuel
and with close monitoring of EGT I dont think the operational temperature will increase at all, besides it will be a closed cooling system, with seawater heat exchangers and the entire ocean as a heat sink... thats one thing with marine engines, cooling is never a problem! Sure I will be increasing the stresses on the internal components, but from 120 HP to 200 HP does not seem like that big of a stretch..theese engines will go 300K 400K miles all day long with proper maintence. I would imagine I could get a few years of service in-between re-builds, especially with the amount of over-engineering generally found in MB product. I can see what you are saying with porting the head and making water jacket thinknesses smaller, but I think that would be an extreme measure and would probably not be nessesary to reach 200HP.. probably increased fuel and boost pressure along timing retard and a big aftercooler would probably be all I would need to do.

Jason Fraley
Tampa FL

1976 Mercedes Benz 300D
post #5 of 5 Old 06-19-2004, 06:07 PM

jason, sounds like you are determined, let 'er rip and lemme know if and when you need a jump start...your jumper cables, lol. 8)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel Discussion