More Power! - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 Old 09-26-2007, 02:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I Recently Perchased A 1985 300td And Would Like To Install Lowering Springs And Sports Suspension. Where Do I Go For Parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 09-26-2007, 12:31 PM

Hey Need. I understand your frustration. I have been driving benz diesels since i could drive and i still do to this day. I have gone on many forums and asked exactly what you are asking and i can tell you that most people dont recommend modifiying the diesels. These arn't dragsters but they do have some great highway power which redeems it a little. Bottom line is that some mods are simple with high risks and others are expensive and just outweigh the cost of the machine your tuning. I would get it up to spec like someone here suggested, then play with the alda to get a little more oomph but its a car that can last forever if you just leave it how it is. Other options are maybe trying the w124 300d, that is what i have now and it has a big performance and handling jump up from the w123's. My honest suggestion tho is if you want power and you dont want to spend too much then go with a w124 300e, my fiance has a 91' and while my diesel was down i drove hers around and i was able to smoke most of the cars that wanted to play. It is pretty fast believe it or not and you can get a very nice one for very little money. Sorry Bud but getting the diesel to be a threat is just more headaches and money then its worth. I would love to burn those jap car driving asses in a diesel as much as you would but its just not in the cards.

Last edited by GimmeYurAMG; 09-26-2007 at 12:34 PM. Reason: mistakes =P
post #13 of 17 Old 02-24-2008, 12:57 PM

I had a 68 Benz in high school that my uncle had dropped a small-block Chevy 400 and Turbo 400 tranny into. With a 4-barrel intake and carb, it suprised a few people at the stoplights. It was quick.

post #14 of 17 Old 01-23-2010, 08:59 AM

I bought a used C220 and used a tuning chip to get more power out of it, it came from http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk but you can probably just Google for one.
post #15 of 17 Old 01-23-2010, 07:52 PM

Vehicle: 84 300D, 82 Volvo 244GL Diesel
You did not give the milage on you Car?
Where do you want this speed; in City Traffic or on the Freeway?

Unlike gas cars there is not stuff available to "Bolt on" that gives much of an improvement.

If your car has an Automatic Transmission you could convert it to a Manual Transmission.
Some also swap Differentials to get a different rear end ratio. The ratio is supposed to be stamped on the Differential Housing somewhere.

If your Car has an Emissions Device called a Trap Oxidizer (that has been know to plug up) there is a so called Test Pipe to replace it.
Some also remove the EGR and replace it with a plate.

I do not know if this makes the Car faster but some claim replacing the Mechaincal Engine Fan with an Electric (in addition to the stock one that comes on when the A/C goes on) increases the milage slightly due to using less engine power.

Last edited by 300Dman; 01-23-2010 at 07:57 PM.
post #16 of 17 Old 01-24-2010, 10:07 AM

Vehicle: '87 300TD 24v & '90 300D 2.5t
The OM617 in the 123 can be tweaked a little in power output, but if real DIY diesel performance is your goal, I'd opt for an OM603 in a 124, or the OM606 turbo in the 210. The OM606 can be bumped up to around 500hp output, which is one of the reasons I'm currently swapping one into my 124.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 17 Old 02-07-2010, 05:27 PM

If you are looking to go fast for little money go pick up a late 80's early 90's turbocharged Chrysler product. You won't win any prizes for looks but I own a both a 2.5T chrysler Lebaron and a turbo dodge shadow. I bought the shadow for $500 and I have put about $100 worth of junkyard performance parts into it and it ran a 14.3 at the track last year running 14psi with a manual boost controller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel Discussion