• 1 Post By RivermasterNC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-13-2004, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1987 300D performance questions

hi. this is my 3rd mercedes diseal, first was 82 300sd and second 85 300d now i own a 1987 300d and having used the 617 engine for a few years i was very happy with the performance difference. altho by diesel standards 150hp is a rocket i would like to increase performance. i have been hearing bout the alda adjust and egr valve removel which i have been using on my 617's but is there anything else that could be done to get this puppy over 200hp? i feel the engine has alot of potential and the w124 has proven itself to be a great chassis in my eyes. some ideas i have heard are propane injection and intercooler. if anybody has good knowledge of this engine and can telle me any expensive or inexpensive ways to boost performance im all ears. i have access to a mercedes shop and 2 mechanics with over 30 years of mb experience. i know your thinking ask them what you can do but they fix the cars by the book and i understand why they dont give me this advice but regsrdless they will help me if i need them. thanx alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-13-2004, 08:36 PM

DamianDiesel:

If you really want something you do not already have, my recommendation would be to go buy what you want. SUV's are not built for ride quality and 300D's were not built for racing. There is plenty of speed out there for sale with a lot less aggrivation than trying to adulterate a well balanced system.

-Scott
toolman likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-13-2004, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
well, i dont have the money for a new ride nor will i in the near future. racing isnt my goal here at all. more of a "diesel not to be delt with". being a disel owner since i could drive i am very aware of what the engine is truly built for and i know its not racing, but what better engine to give a boost then a merc diesel. i have seen a 300sd drag racer! yes unbelievable i know but there was pics posted on the net awhile ago. for the most part im young and im gonna be stuck with this car for awhile. i am a mercedes fan and swear by the cars and im tired of getting that pathetic smirk by honda drivers. i just wanna get it to or over 200hp just so i can have some fun with the car and not feel like the world is passing me by because im getting more mpg. seeing what amg has done with the c30 it is obvious to me with the right treatment that a diesel may not be a race car by todays standard but something that can keep up with the rest of the bunch. i have put these engines thru torture so far (dumb i know) and they can take it, they are truly great engines and i think that if some crappy honda or nissan 4 cylinder rice engine can be pushed alot then i think a merc diesel can be given a small push and still be a daily driver and maintain the diesels true purpose, call me a fool but i luv my car and i know it can be something greater and where better to get this info then the fine people on this forum

post #4 of 8 Old 08-13-2004, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
also juyst another example of what these engines are capable of

http://www.mbspy.com/c111_III.htm
post #5 of 8 Old 08-13-2004, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to cracker928
I am really with Scott on this one. If you want a fast car, get a fast car (see signature line). There are little things you can do like the things that you mentioned to get a little extra out of it (you didn't mention blocking off the vacuum lines to the passenger side of the engine). I have already replaced one cylinder head and don't care to do it again.

But, if you want to fantasize about what is possible, and can read dutch(?), then check out this

That is somewhere around 400HP, but notice that the a/c is gone.

\'87 Mer-B 300D (220,000 miles) (sold)
\'93 Mer-B 300D (173,000 miles) (sold)
\'87 Porsche 928 (101,000 miles)
\'98 Dodge Ram quad-cab (250,000 miles)
\'2001 CLK430 Cabrio (50,000 miles)

Past cars: 1969 mercedes 250, 1981 300D, 1972 220D
post #6 of 8 Old 09-17-2004, 12:16 PM

http://www.mosselmanturbo.com/index2.htm
Go here they make an intercooler kit for your W124. I think with some slight modification's it will work on a US car. It is not cheap but it is the only performance mod out their for the 603. I think it cost $2,000 or $2,500.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-17-2004, 10:16 PM

The ALDA asjustment should be more than sufficient for power gains. Turn it CCW until the stop. Your diesel may be polluting as much as a CAT equipped semi(not quite), but power will be plentiful. ONLY, however, if your car is in PERFECT condition, no leaks, no carbon, no lackluster BTU content(for more peak power). Good cetane always helps for faster cleaner and more efficient power distribution.

Just stick with that, and keep your injection system clean. Through the Placebo effect(or is it, really?) you will have MUCH more power than stock, and be able to run like a bat out of Hell wherever your destination is located.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-10-2018, 03:43 PM

yes i am so glad someone said it. why adulterate a well balanced system. it is an amazing system, the germans have it down for longevity, a million miles if treated properly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel Discussion