Oil extractor not working...why? Help!!! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-15-2009, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Oil extractor not working...why? Help!!!

I attempted to extract the oil from my 2005 C320 Sport Sedan using a Pela Pro extractor. I was only able to extract 2 quarts and no more. I vented the system by opening & removing the oil filter stem ONLY. I could see the oil attempting to come out, only to be sucked back down. Do I need to also open the oil filler cap also to provide more venting? I checked my extractor tubes for air leaks, none ....& no hissing air. I pumped the extractor to the maximum. The engine oil was very warm as the engine was run 5 minutes before attempting the extraction. The oil would just not come out! Any/all suggestions welcome....please help! Thanks all.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-15-2009, 09:23 AM

Vehicle: Mercedes....what else..?
Send a message via AIM to jhodg5ck
I've never had such a problem... I've been using top siders for about 5 years now, they have always worked flawlessly.

I suppose your only option is open the filter, but w/ the filler cap open I don't see why/how it would make a difference..

Worst case you'll be changing oil the old fashioned way!

Jonathan

Blue Ridge Mercedes/AMG East

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Offering Enthusiast Service, Restoration and Tuning.
Providing quality parts to enthusiasts all over the world.
Located in the Atlanta area
96 S600 Euro
91 560SEC ECE (for sale)
91 500SL Jap Spec
91 560SEC 226/271 Undergoing TT conversion
88 300E AMG
89 190E 2.6 5sp
89 300TE
88 560SEC AMG Euro ECE (parts)
89 560SEC AMG mech. lifter/68K rpm conv.
87 Hammer 6.0L 32V
86 560SEL AMG 6.0L 32V[/url]
post #3 of 6 Old 09-15-2009, 09:30 AM
R.I.P Always Remembered

Vehicle: Zotye 1.5T 2016 model
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
The length of the suction tube is important, but we do not use the tube at all and simply plug into the oil dipstick neck.

ERIC

post #4 of 6 Old 09-15-2009, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
In my first attempt I opened & removed ONLY the oil filter stem (Not the filler cap- filler cap was left closed), in an attempt to vent the extraction process in this manner...but this venting does not seem to be enough. In my next attempt, I will remove BOTH the oil filter stem AND the oil filler cap...in this way I am attempting to provide more venting. Other than having these two openings open for venting...I cannot see why the extractor is not working on this '05 C320.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-29-2009, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I attempted to do another oil extraction using the Pela Pro on my '05 C320 Sport sedan.
I found out that the Pela Pro was losing all pressure from the threading of the cap to the
main body of the container. The molded threads cannot be tightened down tightly, as the cap in tightening will lose the threading and 'pop off'. I thought that reseating rubber seal on the top of the cap was at fault, but was not. The threading on the container's body is molded, with 2 sections on either side containing a gap with no threading at all. Thus this cap or molded design cannot be tighten extra tight...as this will cause the cap to lose the mating thread channels and 'pop off'. I will not use the Pela Pro. I willl purchase a MityVac 7201 and give that top sider a try.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-29-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric242340 View Post
The length of the suction tube is important, but we do not use the tube at all and simply plug into the oil dipstick neck.
What Eric said is the best and fastest way to extract the oil. You can modify your unit a bit. Here is how I do it.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...cking-oil.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts Forums > DIY/Tech Help